Should I change my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M*A*S*H

Reaction score
Fairly new to this but 1st batch went well. Amber Ale
MY wife insists that if I continue this hobby, I at least need to do a batch of something she'd drink as well, so I've ordered a Northern Brewer Raspberry Wheat Kit, which comes with Wyeast #3333, but I was wondering about the #1010, if it may work/taste better? Thanks.

Since they are both wheat yeasts, then sure the #1010 would probably be fine. Below are the differences, mostly the #3333 is far more flocculant = clear beer, which your wife may enjoy.

YEAST STRAIN: 3333 | German Wheat™

Back to Yeast Strain List

Subtle flavor profile for wheat yeast with unique sharp tart crispness, fruity, sherry-like palate.

Origin: Germany
Flocculation: High
Attenuation: 70-76%
Temperature Range: 63-75F, 17-24C
Alcohol Tolerance: 10% ABV

YEAST STRAIN: 1010 | American Wheat™

Back to Yeast Strain List

A dry fermenting, true top cropping yeast which produces a dry, slightly tart, crisp beer. Ideal for beers where a low ester profile is desirable.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-78%
Temperature Range: 58-74° F (14-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

I would stick with the kit as is. They selected that yeast because of the flavours it imparts, if you go with an American wheat strain you will lose a lot the flavours that the yeast would have imparted.

I just read about the two strains, and it really looks to me like you're splitting hairs. Just pick one, make sure your process is extra clean and make some beer. Don't get fancy, follow the insturctions. Make a starter for the yeast and enjoy!! Heck, pitch it as "cooking" and get her to help. I'm crossing my fingers for you, as I know how hard it is to get buy in. My wife finally realized how much I like this hobby and has joined me in the process.

Latest posts

Back