Hot Water Recirculation for Mash Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olympionex

Reaction score
I've read some references on this board to people that have tried recirculating hot water though a heat exchanger located in their mash as opposed to the traditional method. I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this and what results they had. I'm considering trying it on my next batch, though I'm wondering what the best configuration for the heat exchanger should be. One option is the typical immersion chiller configuration which might still require stirring the center. Another alternative I was thinking was bending the tubing into a series of spikes that could be pushed down into the mash and cover a wider area.

I've read some references on this board to people that have tried recirculating hot water though a heat exchanger located in their mash as opposed to the traditional method. I'm curious if anyone has actually tried this and what results they had. I'm considering trying it on my next batch, though I'm wondering what the best configuration for the heat exchanger should be. One option is the typical immersion chiller configuration which might still require stirring the center. Another alternative I was thinking was bending the tubing into a series of spikes that could be pushed down into the mash and cover a wider area.

I have not tried this method, but I did consider doing something similar at one time. IMO, the main problem with this design is that the heat supplied by the HEX will not heat the grain bed uniformly. It requires considerable time for the heat to diffuse throughout the grain bed. Stirring would still be necessary and probably continuous stirring. This is the reason that many opt for a RIMS or HERMS configuration. I went with a direct fired RIMS.

Latest posts

Back