Screwed up my starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acidjazz54

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last night after consuming a few homebrews I decided I would start my two-stage starter for tomorrow's brew session. I'm using Safale US-04 that was washed from a previous brew session (02/26/09) and has been in the fridge since. My problem is that I wasn't paying attention and I put 1/2 cup DME in 2 cups water (per the yeast starter pictorial) and brought it to a boil and then as soon as it boiled, I shut it off (like making rice) and then cooled and continued on my merry way. Is my starter ruined and should I pitch another batch of yeast or do you think I'm ok to continue on to my second stage as planned?

What???

What do you think you did wrong? It looks like you boiled and cooled your wort. As long as you didn't add the yeast to the boiling dme, then you did it right.

What???

What do you think you did wrong? It looks like you boiled and cooled your wort. As long as you didn't add the yeast to the boiling dme, then you did it right.

Well I didn't boil for 15 minutes. Just brought it to a boil and then as soon as it started to boil, I took it off the heat. Does the "wort" need to boil in order to extract the sugars from the DME?

I think the problem was that he didn't boil the starter for 10 - 20 minutes to sanitize it.
I wouldn't worry, providing your DME was stored in a sealed container.
Edit.
If the DME dissolved, the sugars were extracted.
/Edit.

-a.

Back