Island Girl Hazelnut Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthebear

Reaction score
This started out as Ms. Bessy's Milk Stout in the Brewmaster's Bible. But I think I've changed it enough to give it my own name. So I renamed it for my wife who is Puerto Rican.

12 oz. Special B malt
8 oz. Chocolate malt
8 oz. Roasted barley
8 oz. Carapils
(all grains lightly cracked)

1 can Cooper's dark LME
2 lbs. extra light DME
8 oz. lactose

1oz. Northern Brewer's hops
1/2 tsp. irish moss
1 package Wyeast 2565 Kolsch ale yeast
3/4 cup priming sugar
hazelnut extract

o.g. 1.047

Slowly bring grains to boil over a 30 minute period in 2 gallons of water. Once boiling, remove the grains.

Bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and add all extracts and lactose. Return to heat.

Bring back to a boil. Add hops and irish moss. Boil 30 minutes.

After boil, chill, bring volume to 5 gallons and pitch yeast at 80F.

Add hazelnut extract to taste at bottling time. I suspect it will be approx. 1 oz.

Let me just say, it is black and sweet. The trick for me is to not drink too much of it in one sitting and activate my lactose intolerance.

Now the only place I really screwed up is bringing my grains to boil. Or more specifically, I forgot to preboil my 2 gallons of water to get rid of the chlorine. The other 3 gallons I remembered to preboil.

I know my water district uses Cl gas (I've been in the well house). Do you all think I'll get any off flavors from the 2 gallons with Cl?

Hmm... Choc malt, barley, hazelnut? Sounds delicious. I might need to try that soon.

Looks tasty! You want to make sure to remove the grains BEFORE the boil starts, ideally once your water gets to be about 170-180. It would be good if you heated the water to that temp over the 30 min, then remove the grains, then brought to a boil and continued.

Any temp above 170 in water of unknown pH my extract tannins. If you know your pH is 5.2 or lower, you could boil it, but you're not gaining much for the risk.

I have tannin-ized 1 batch from actually boiling grains, and 1 from oversparging (similar effect).

feedthebear said:
1 can Cooper's dark LME
2 lbs. extra light DME
8 oz. lactose

Let me just say, it is black and sweet. The trick for me is to not drink too much of it in one sitting and activate my lactose intolerance.

8 oz is A LOT of lactose for someone who is intolerant.

To give you an idea:

8oz of lactose in 5 gal (1.18%) or 0.2 oz per pint.
milk has 4.7 % app. (0.75 oz per pint aprox)
So drinking a Pint of this beer is like drinking about 5 oz of milk

I would be very careful or you are going to be VERY uncomfortable!

I didn't detect any excessive tannin taste after it brewed. But I'm pretty sure my water pH is below 5.2. Most soils around Salt Lake are very acidic. Our town's well pulls from a really deep aquifer. I also pulled the grains out as I was just starting to get a boil.

Veggiess, thanks for the milk equivalent calculation. Most the time I'm okay with less than 8oz. of milk. For the most part, I have problems with things that have custard and/or heavy cream in them: eggnog, ice cream, flan, etc. Unfortunately, I'm addicted to custards.

And I'll drinking this beer at home, so a toilet won't be too far away. But I may need to stock up on candles and air fresheners.

Definitely a messy fermentation. I've changed the airlock twice because Krausen has pushed up into it and as soon as I get another bottle of vodka I'll be changing it again.

Unbelievable. 13 days before the fermentation slowed down to less than 1 bubble per min. Let it sit an extra two days so it would be below 1 bubble per 5 minutes.

The Krausen ring left on the bucket and lid was quite impressive.

F.G = 1.010
ABV = 4.8%

Watching it in the racking tube, it has a very slight redness to it. But in the sample glass, it looks very black, like espresso. Maybe thats why when I taste it, I'm getting a minor coffee flavor.

And its really nice just knowing I have 5 gallons of black beer sitting in the basement.

We got a vicious cold snap just in time for cold-conditioning. I moved it back into the celler which is sitting at a nice 42F.

Time to start thinking about lagers too.

This should turn out amazing, especially after cold conditioning.

My peach cream ale from your recipe is doing great. The secondary ferm keeps moving the beer up though, the peaches trap the co2 into a bubbly peach top. This happen to you? I'm curious to see if there is any carbonation to the brew when I rack to tertiary.

Just finishing my Pumpkin ale, it is almost like a light stout with a pumpkin spice added. mmm.

I can't wait till I brew this one. Keep us posted,

Sounds like its progressing nicely.

The peaches never dropped to the bottom of my secondary. Mine looked like I had a foamy krausen mixed in with the peaches the whole time it was in the secondary, even after the airlock stopped bubbling. I was able to see when the yeast stopped floating near the top.

I didn't have any carbonation when i racked. Just good flavor.

Oh, and not all the sediment has settled out of my 16 & 22 oz. yet. The 16oz bottles are almost settled but the 22oz still have a couple of weeks to go. I'm hoping that by keeping them in the celler too, they will start settling faster.

I also have a bit of chill haze.

Back