Campden tablets, can I wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInCtown

Reaction score
Some Niagara white wine that I have going seems to be done fermenting and I'm going to rack into a carboy. Problem is that I somehow managed to lose my pack of Campden tablets in my truck. Is it ok to rack today and then add the tablets tomorrow? I don't think one day will matter but I figure I would make sure.

The whole point of using the campden with rackings is because the s2 gas from the campden binds to the wine to prevent oxidation. Somehow chemically, since the s2 is already bound to the wine, the o2 can't displace it, so the minimal aeration that happens during racking can't affect the wine. If you rack it and then a day later add the campden, the wine would have already been exposed to o2 during racking. So, if you're not going to use it when racking, I wouldn't bother using it a day later, either.

Ah, I knew it was something I was forgetting. Thanks Yooper.
I never have that worry of not having something on hand. I plan well ahead and always have enough of everything on hand. Sometimes to excess.

Ahhhh, I see. The tablets perform two functions. I knew you used them on some fresh juices to kill bacteria, but I didn't realize the other reason. (probably bot the same reasoning behind how they work)

I'll keep looking in the truck for the little bag. Assuming I find it tonight, do I add the tablets into the carboy then rack on top of the crushed tablets or add the tablets to the racked wine? (does it even matter?)

Ahhhh, I see. The tablets perform two functions. I knew you used them on some fresh juices to kill bacteria, but I didn't realize the other reason. (probably bot the same reasoning behind how they work)

I'll keep looking in the truck for the little bag. Assuming I find it tonight, do I add the tablets into the carboy then rack on top of the crushed tablets or add the tablets to the racked wine? (does it even matter?)

I don't really know if it matters, but I remember learning that you should dissolve the campden and put it into the receiving vessel, and rack the wine into it. I don't know the whys of this, though.

I looked at a few books that I had and it seemed that they said add the tablets then rack. Checked the gravity and I was at .998. I need to get this stuff cooled down so a lot of this crap comes out of suspension. I think it's cool enough now that I may put it out in the garage with a towel covering it. I had to sample it and it was Nasty. I could tell it was full of alcohol but it tasted nothing like wine. Hopefully in a few months when I rack again it will taste better. I think it may have had something to do with higher fermentation temps. I tried to keep it cool but that bucket got warm. (6 gallons done in 7 days total)

Back