Thought on porter/stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old_E

Reaction score
I was hoping to get some thoughts on what I am thinking about brewing. This would be right on the border between Stout and a Robust Porter. Categorize it however you would like. Anyway, I am afraid I have too much going on.

Thoughts?
5gal

7 # Pale 2-row
1# Carapils
1# Crystal 60
1# Munich
1# Flaked oats
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley
1# lactose

.5 oz Willamette (60 min)
.5 oz Willamette (2 min)

yeast - s-04

Mash 154 for 60

Thanks.

I think your recipe looks good or at least balanced. If it were me and my experience, I'd follow your hunch and get simpler: drop the carapils, oats and lactose and make up with pale or munich. These are ingredients I would use to fine tune a recipe after I've made a simpler one.

Process, i.e., mash temp and knowing your water, can substitute for carapils in adjusting body and head retention. For me, I can't verify that carapils do those things so I've eliminated it from recipes until I find a reason to keep it in. You already have crystal.

For me, oats and lactose have real subtle effects and it has nothing to do with flavor.

Again, these are my opinions. Tell us what you expect from this beer. Do you want it thick and chewy, sweet, dry? :)

I think your recipe looks good or at least balanced. If it were me and my experience, I'd follow your hunch and get simpler: drop the carapils, oats and lactose and make up with pale or munich. These are ingredients I would use to fine tune a recipe after I've made a simpler one.

Process, i.e., mash temp and knowing your water, can substitute for carapils in adjusting body and head retention. For me, I can't verify that carapils do those things so I've eliminated it from recipes until I find a reason to keep it in. You already have crystal.

For me, oats and lactose have real subtle effects and it has nothing to do with flavor.

Again, these are my opinions. Tell us what you expect from this beer. Do you want it thick and chewy, sweet, dry? :)

Thanks for the comment. Slightly sweet and chewy. Thus the oats and lactose. I really enjoyed a milk stout I made recently and am wanting something similar. I just want to toy with a couple other ingredients, so I'm adding the oats, munich and cara-pils.

I've never used carapils, but given it's a caramel/crystal malt I would be worried about using 1 lb of it along with 1 lb of crystal 60 and 1 lb of lactose. I think it would turn out to be cloying. I was under the impression that people generally used much less carapils than that - like 1/4 lb - for body and head retention.

I've never used carapils, but given it's a caramel/crystal malt I would be worried about using 1 lb of it along with 1 lb of crystal 60 and 1 lb of lactose. I think it would turn out to be cloying. I was under the impression that people generally used much less carapils than that - like 1/4 lb - for body and head retention.

That makes sense. I was basing it on another recipe that added malto dextrine to the boil. I figured I would add that to the mash instead. The research I did said 1/2 # per cup. Posting this, i just found a mistake. it should be 1/2# of carapils... or that's what I intended. Maybe it would be too sweet. ???

I am far from an expert but .5oz Williamette in the boil and then @2min is going to leave you a little low on IBU's IMO.

Latest posts

Back