My wild yeast harvesting results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nateo

Reaction score
I took a few peaches (straight from a farm), skinned them, then put the skins in 4 pint jars with a very weak DME solution. Three got nasty infections and had to be tossed, one got a good yeast infection. From that, I did a 100/1000ml stepped starter.

Brewed a beer with 66% Pils, 33% flaked wheat.

It fermented really fast, and flocculated really hard. I've never made a wheat beer so crystal clear before.

The yeast presented mild esters, some phenols, fruity nose, and a dry finish. Reminded me of a mix between WY2565 and WY1388.

I was surprised it wasn't harsher. I expected wild yeast to be a lot less refined, but the strain I got is actually a lot more subtle than a lot of commercial strains.

I had a very similar result when I cultured yeasts off of a peach. it flocculated into pea-sized chunks before it was even done fermenting, so throught the glass you just saw a torrent of bubbles moving throught the clear liquid. I only used it for cider though, worked awesome. I was planning on using the saved cake for a batch of blonde, calling it dirty blonde, but never got around to it.

Yep I got the same big chunks. I guess it makes sense certain strains would live on certain fruits.

Back