1.5 weeks in secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevy_kev

Reaction score
My original fermentation was slow getting started. I pitched last Sunday and it didnt start until last wednesday. I am planning to move to secondary tonight after a week of fermenting and a little more than a week in primary. Anybody see any problems with only keeping in the secondary for 1.5 weeks so that I can stay on schedule with a 6 week brew time following the 1-2-3 method? Im trying to give a full 3 weeks in the bottles but still be ready for turkey day.

There is no problem with that at all. The only part of the 1-2-3 rule that I like to follow is bottle conditioning for 3 weeks. Even though most of my bottles are carbonated after 2 weeks, my beers really seem to taste great after that third week. I never follow the 1 week rule for primary. I transfer it when it's done or when I get time.

yeah I agree about the 3 weeks in bottles. I can definatley tell the difference between the first beer in the batch and the last beer. thats why I was hoping to get out of secondary faster so it has more time to condition. Plan on bringing this to the festivities on Thanksgiving if it turns out ok and I want to make a good impression to the families with a well made brew.
:)

The three weeks in bottles is REALLY HARD to wait if you have no backup!!! But, what they say is true. My SWMBO is really liking the American Amber, and this weekend will mark the 3rd week in the bottles. I'll probably, because I'm a nice guy and want to keep this hobby going, drink some of my other stuff and let her have the American Amber.

wow you are a nice guy!!!
Luckily my wife doesnt like to drink so its mine.... all mine... hahahahahaahah
(and I get a DD out of it!!) Man I love her :) :drunk:

Moving from the clearing tank to bottles early does not speed up the aging. Go ahead and bottle early, but you still won't have five weeks after the end of fermentation. If you had made a large starter, you could have cut the fermentation time. Maybe it will be ok on Thanksgiving, maybe you'll have something to go with the turkey soup in December.

thats a good point. its not the time in secondary thats important but the time since the end of the fermentation..... hmmmmmm.

ahh well. I will see how it turns out. It is in secondary as of last night and I would like to bottle next weekend to give almost 3 weeks to turkey day...

Latest posts

Back