Blonde Ale Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What temps are you guys fermenting at with US-05? Sorry if it's been discussed - There's a lot of posts to read through

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just stay within the temp range for that strain and you'll be fine. I used that yeast on my last batch, fermented at 64-66 and it was good. This weekend I'm brewing another batch but with Nottingham. I'm interested to see the difference.

It's been 12 days. I racked ten gal to kegs.

image.jpg

It came out the fermenter crystal clear.

Chilling it now. I'll probably quickly force carb it with 30psi, so I can take some with me to a cabin up in Mt. Hood for a wedding this weekend.

The sample was great—even flat. It has that dry crispness but with a bit of a sweetness, no bitter, smooth and clean... I can tell this will be as easy to drink as the cream of three.

So I kegged it after 12 days in primary. I crashed it in my kegerator for a day then added gelatin the next evening. I carbonated it by doing 30psi and rolling it around for about 2minutes. The carbonation level is nice maybe even a little under carbonated. It's at about 32f now and still hazy. The flavor is great, but it's a little young still. There are some subtle flavors I expect will round off with a bit more age.

For about 2 weeks, it's very drinkable and good, but I think this will become excellent when it has a couple weeks in the keg.

I'm still bringing it with me to the cabin tomorrow. I know it will be better in a week for our spring break beach trip.

I really love centennial. The citrus is there. It's like I added lemon zest. That citrus profile and the dry crisp bite this beer has is going to make it an excellent beer for our seafood boil...

After my apricot wheat **** the bed due to a disgusting apricot extract (tastes like cough syrup) i'm tossing it and brewed this today. It was on my list and wanted something quick. OG of 1.050 which is definitely high but absolutely cannot wait to try this beer.

just kegged the thing, OG was 1040 and FG1004ish, was really clear going in the keg, now sit down and wait!

So I've got 10/15 gallons of this that I plan on brewing next week.

I'd like to play around with the yeast and an 'extra' partial-mash (perhaps..by 'extra' partial mash I mean an AG mash with a specialty grain partial mash while the wort is heating in the boil kettle).

My choices for yeast: Notty, US 05, and Rochefort salvaged from bottles. Obviously, it's the Rochefort that I am concerned/titillated with. I enjoy the complex fruitiness of it but I'm not sure how the yeast will play with hops (I haven't made a Belgian pale yet).

Any thoughts or experiences using Rochefort yeast on a recipe like this?

As for the 'extra' mash, I was actually going to put it into this Rochefort batch to get a deeper, creamier color and mouth feel (I'll hold at 160 for a pure beta extract). I have lots of Munich 2 so I was thinking of using that so color isn't too effected but I can perhaps get some significant malty flavors/mouthfeel from it.

Any thoughts on this? How much?

<Klank>

I have a 42 oz is apricot purée does anyone think that would be good in secondary.

I have a 42 oz is apricot purée does anyone think that would be good in secondary.

I love this beer as is... but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you wanted to do that.

I took a 3 gallon keg of this and Cream of three crops to a cabin with some friends. Both beers were a hit, but the blonde ale definitely became the favorite. So much so that when I had to go home, and take my kegerator, they actually grabbed a big ass water pitcher and filled it

I haven't read through all the posts on this thread, so apologies if this has been asked before...
Has anyone used Falconer's Flight for the hops in this one? I have some extra I've been looking to use in something, but I want to brew something lighter than an APA or IPA for the upcoming warm weather. The Falconer's are supposedly a blend of many C hops, of which Centennial and Cascade are two, so I was thinking it may work... Just hoping it won't be too over the top. Figure if I keep the total IBUs around 20, it shouldn't be too bad, no?

Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How necessary is this to secondary? Any benefits? If I can keep it in one carboy for the 9 days I'd like to but if not I've got plenty of secondarys to transfer it to I'm just sick and don't have the energy haha.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Home Brew mobile app

As delicious as this is (brewed it per the recipe), I had to tinker. I bumped it up to 7% ABV and 7 oz of C/C hops. In the tun now. Will report back in 6 weeks.

first sample this afternoon while finishing the keezer... force carb at 30 psi for 2 days, purged and set it at 12 psi... been 2 days, lot of foam but this is frikkin good.good thing I'm going on the road for a week, should be better when I get back...!

Ice bob, off topic, what do you do on the road? I travel quite a bit myself

How necessary is this to secondary? Any benefits? If I can keep it in one carboy for the 9 days I'd like to but if not I've got plenty of secondarys to transfer it to I'm just sick and don't have the energy haha.

Not at all ... I think majority of us done use secondary unless it's for something with fruit in it that needs clearing.

First 10 gal batch of this amazing beer! Got the boil cranking!

Decided to try a modified version of this:

5gal batch

1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
5 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM)
0.40 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.40 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.40 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.40 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min
0.20 oz Cascade [6.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
0.20 oz Centennial [9.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool
1.00 oz Cascade [7.30 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
1.00 oz Centennial [11.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Added the dry hops (both leaf) last night and will bottle next weekend Very excited for this one!

Not at all ... I think majority of us done use secondary unless it's for something with fruit in it that needs clearing.

Thanks! I figured as much.

Any harm in kegging this one day early? All of my fermentation has stopped. I have some people coming over Saturday and was going to keg this Wednesday but was thinking of kegging it Tuesday night to try and have it ready for Saturday.

First time poster, thanks everyone for all the excellent info. I've always been able to find an answer without having to post, but this thread is too damn big to read all the posts, so I apologize if someone may have had a similar question. Anyway, I brewed this yesterday to have for my brother's bachelor party. Everything went well but my second centennial hop addition was a little heavy (since I don't weight or measure it out, just eyeball the packet..) so it was probably closer to .5oz instead of .25oz (for 5 gal batch). How much will this effect the final product? I like the thought of it being smooth and well balanced, for those who may not be into hoppy brew. Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to it!

OG 1.045, pitched WLP001, and is happily sitting at 70'F.

First time poster, thanks everyone for all the excellent info. I've always been able to find an answer without having to post, but this thread is too damn big to read all the posts, so I apologize if someone may have had a similar question. Anyway, I brewed this yesterday to have for my brother's bachelor party. Everything went well but my second centennial hop addition was a little heavy (since I don't weight or measure it out, just eyeball the packet..) so it was probably closer to .5oz instead of .25oz (for 5 gal batch). How much will this effect the final product? I like the thought of it being smooth and well balanced, for those who may not be into hoppy brew. Thanks for the recipe, looking forward to it!

I just tweaked my beersmith file for this recipe and if I move the second addition from .25 to .50 the IBUS go from 22 to 29. This assumes all other additions remain the same.

The IBU range for the Blonde Ale style is 15 - 28 IBU so this puts it from comfortably in the middle of the range to just out of range.

Taste wise? I haven't the foggiest idea how it will impact taste. I mean, I know HOW it will impact it, but couldn't tell you if it will be negligible/terrible/awesome.

The first time I made this recipe (5 gallon all grain) it was late at night and I wasn't paying much attention so I put in 1/2oz of the centennial at 55 and then another 1/2oz at 35. I think it turned out pretty well, actually. I let it bottle condition for 2 weeks and it was very hoppy for the 1st 2-3 weeks after that but it was very drinkable. After about a month or so, I started tasting more of a sweetness. I found one hiding in the fridge after about 3 months and it was great.

I just made another batch this weekend and followed the right schedule, can't wait to put it into the keg next week, it smelled so good going into the carboy!

OK I won't worry about it too much then. I will be kegging it and I have until April 26th for the party.

i brewed this on 3/9 first taste was 3/20 (kegged). Gotta say, I was a little disappointed...but then each day it got a little better, today (3/27) it is just a really, seriously tasty beverage. It started out as a glorified yardbeer but it just gets better and better. I love it and I will brew it again and again. Thanks beirmuncher---awesome

Brewed 10 gallons at the beginning of December and just tapped a keg today. It tastes great. Thanks for the recipe.

The keg was tapped early February.

Still have some of this around and I'd say it's definitely gone down hill a bit. It tastes sweeter now, and I don't notice much of hop flavor now. Still drinkable, and I will brew again, but it's better fresher.

CB goes over well at my house - especially with 'transitional' beer drinkers who are beginning to appreciate something beyond BMC. So I brewed a 3 gallon batch this weekend and I inadvertently made a huge mistake that will either turn out awful or awesome. The math is simple, right? Take a 5 gallon recipe, divide by 5 and multiply by 3. Maybe I had not consumed enough coffee or maybe I am just a bozo, but I divided by 5 and multiplied by FOUR???? I had crazy wild efficiency and could not for the life of me understand a pre-boil gravity of 1045 and OG at 1060. If I had understood my mistake early on ~ while chilling ~ I probably could have topped of with one gallon of cooled, filtered water and hit 1040 on the nose. As it was, I added about 1/2 gallon to get below 1045 and decided that was the best I could do without majorly impacting taste or bitterness. Several hours later I re-ran the numbers and did the forehead smack! The yeasties like it ... happy kruesen this morning, and there will be beer. But who knows how far I'll be from the original??? Fingers crossed.

Haven't brewed in months and am finally "getting back in the game." This was one of my favorites, excited to get it going tonight!

I just brewed this as my first AG attempt. I'm not efficient with all the math at this point but my efficiency wasn't great. I hit my temps for the mash, 150 for 1 hour. I used a 5 gallon water cooler MT and did a batch sparge but I think I lost my efficiency by not waiting long enough during the sparge for my 2 second runoff. (I hope I have my terminology right). My pre-boil gravity was only 1.032 when I adjusted for temps. After some reading I decided to try to adjust for the low gravity by adding some DME. Not wanting to overdo it I added 1 lb of extra light DME but then forgot to take my gravity reading again before I pitched my yeast. Hopefully I got it close enough to still make it good. I brewed on Tuesday and by Wednesday evening I had some activity, this morning my airlock is rocking away. Hopefully this turns out as good or better than the 3 extract batches of this I've brewed.

Sounds like you did alright. Don't get too caught up on efficiency and gravity readings until you get a feeling for your all grain set up. After about 3 brew sessions, you'll have your system down and everything else will fall into place. Enjoy the beer!

I just brewed this as my first AG attempt. I'm not efficient with all the math at this point but my efficiency wasn't great. I hit my temps for the mash, 150 for 1 hour. I used a 5 gallon water cooler MT and did a batch sparge but I think I lost my efficiency by not waiting long enough during the sparge for my 2 second runoff. (I hope I have my terminology right). My pre-boil gravity was only 1.032 when I adjusted for temps. After some reading I decided to try to adjust for the low gravity by adding some DME. Not wanting to overdo it I added 1 lb of extra light DME but then forgot to take my gravity reading again before I pitched my yeast. Hopefully I got it close enough to still make it good. I brewed on Tuesday and by Wednesday evening I had some activity, this morning my airlock is rocking away. Hopefully this turns out as good or better than the 3 extract batches of this I've brewed.

I doubt you loss efficiency on the batch sparge since you sparge with hotter water to basically stop the process. When you batch you just fill with water, stir like hell, vorlouf and drain. The conversion is already done when you reach that point. You're just rinsing the grain bed of the residual sugar.

I would evaluate the crush, or verify water levels.

If you added DME you expect about 1.040 per lb per gallon. So you raised your gravity about 1.040/5 since you diluted it down by 1/5th. So it would be about 1.008

So you should be about 1.039 (right on the money for this recipe)

I THINK my math is right, but someone mightier than me will correct if wrong.

Btw, assuming you ended up at 5gal, your efficiency was about 50%, so ya I'd evaluate a few things to determine what happened. When you did your batch sparge, did you add the amount of water you needed to hit the volume or did you just fill the tun?

Edit: I just noticed you said your PRE boil was 1.032. How much extra volume did you have and whats you're boil off rate? Depending on that, you very well could've hit target since 1.039 is the target.

Assuming you had 1.032 at 6 gallons and you boiled off 1 gallon during the boil, you're at about 1.038 (just shy of target) add your 1lb DME and you're sitting at around 1.046.

With your 1lb DME addition, you're definitely over target. But this is such a low ABV beer. Next time I make it, and I will, I'm going to aim for closer to 5/5.5%

If you finish at target FG, you can expect about 4.99% ABV right where I'd want it.

I doubt you loss efficiency on the batch sparge since you sparge with hotter water to basically stop the process. When you batch you just fill with water, stir like hell, vorlouf and drain. The conversion is already done when you reach that point. You're just rinsing the grain bed of the residual sugar.

I would evaluate the crush, or verify water levels.

If you added DME you expect about 1.040 per lb per gallon. So you raised your gravity about 1.040/5 since you diluted it down by 1/5th. So it would be about 1.008

So you should be about 1.039 (right on the money for this recipe)

I THINK my math is right, but someone mightier than me will correct if wrong.

Btw, assuming you ended up at 5gal, your efficiency was about 50%, so ya I'd evaluate a few things to determine what happened. When you did your batch sparge, did you add the amount of water you needed to hit the volume or did you just fill the tun?

Edit: I just noticed you said your PRE boil was 1.032. How much extra volume did you have and whats you're boil off rate? Depending on that, you very well could've hit target since 1.039 is the target.

Assuming you had 1.032 at 6 gallons and you boiled off 1 gallon during the boil, you're at about 1.038 (just shy of target) add your 1lb DME and you're sitting at around 1.046.

With your 1lb DME addition, you're definitely over target. But this is such a low ABV beer. Next time I make it, and I will, I'm going to aim for closer to 5/5.5%

If you finish at target FG, you can expect about 4.99% ABV right where I'd want it.

Sounds right, I started with just over 6 gallons and ended up right at 5 after the boil

I know this is off topic, but this is THE spot to post pics about blondes....

I brewed a recipe I formulated off this thread, a couple other recipes on the net, and my own personal tastes. The preboil and post boil samples tasted off....a sour and tart flavor along with the normal sweet flavor of wort. It has me quite concerned since I brewed this for a party. How do wort samples taste on these lighter beers?

One note, I was supposed to brew this last weekend, but didnt get around to it, so the grains sat for a week.

My sample at the time of kegging was not that great. I definitely had concerns but rolled with it.

Now that it's carbed, it's fantastic.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396744310.821755.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396744330.277837.jpg

Decided last night that it was time for my first all grain beer. After reading the recipe and reviews, figured with the light grain bill this was a good place to start. So with my 3 Gallon Kettle the help of a potato pot, a coleman cooler and a giant nylon bag I was off to the races. My Mash temps were all over the place mostly low, had a crappy thermometer that slowly went up and lost a lot of heat when opening the lid and measuring temp, had to top up the fermenter to 21 ltrs to get 1.040. 3 hours later my hydrated yeast is still sitting in a glass as the beer is still to warm to pitch in. Oh well I made beer and I'm sure it will be fine, either that or I made some hoppy starch water that will be filled with some confused Nottingham. Had a great afternoon with this.

Brewed this back in December, and getting ready to brew again. Great session beer that the SWMBO really likes.

IMG_0038.jpg

I found that it takes a little while to come together if you use Nottingham yeast. I did my last batch with WLP007 and it was ready a lot faster, the Notty seems to leave a slightly tart flavor which takes about a week to subside IME

Also I'd recommend Mangrove Jack M79 dry yeast for this. I've just finished 10 gallons of a different brew, 5 gal got WLP007, 5 got M79 and the yeast profile is very similar, certainly close enough to skip messing around with liquid yeast starters for such a simple beer.

This beer is way better with Notty yeast and dry hopped with 3oz of random hops. It's a whole different tasting beer imo. The last one I made I used us-05 yeast and no dry hops, I like my current batch much better.

this one pass the test, got some visit today, bush light drinkers, and they keep hitting tap #2, centennial blonde... winner in my book!

I have conversion, my mash temp was pretty low when I checked it at the end of the 60 min, but carried on with the brew anyways. Just checked the gravity and she is down to 1.012 (was worried I wouldn't get past 1.018), even though the sample is yeasty it still tastes amazing. I deff over hopped it a little due to improper calculations on my end, I don't have the gear to boil 6.5 so I boil 3.5 and top up with water. So far turning out to be a great first AG, now to wait to see if she has chill haze when I keg this batch.

Back