Sweet Nut Brown - Please Review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieb2101

Reaction score
Sweet Nut Brown Ale
OG: 1.058, FG: 1.015, IBU: 22.3, SRM: 22.57, ABV: 5.63%

Maris Otter 3lbs 8oz
Honey Malt 2lbs
Victory 2lbs
Golden Promise 2lbs
Carapils 1lb
Aromatic 8oz
TF Pale Chocolate Malt 4oz
Roasted Barley 2oz
Fuggles 1oz @ 60
Kent Goldings 1oz @ 20
White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast

Let me know if you have any suggestions...

Seems like a butt load of character malts with not enough base malt....it is certainly going to be sweet (if that is what you're going for).

Thanks! I can get carried away.
How's this for a revision?

OG: 1.057, FG: 1.014, IBU: 22.4, SRM: 20.09, ABV: 5.63%

Maris Otter 6lbs
Victory 2lbs
Honey Malt 1lb
Golden Promise 1lb
Carapils 8oz
TF Pale Chocolate Malt 8oz
Fuggles 1oz @ 60
Kent Goldings 1oz @ 20

Thanks! I can get carried away.
How's this for a revision?

OG: 1.057, FG: 1.014, IBU: 22.4, SRM: 20.09, ABV: 5.63%

Maris Otter 6lbs
Victory 2lbs
Honey Malt 1lb
Golden Promise 1lb
Carapils 8oz
TF Pale Chocolate Malt 8oz
Fuggles 1oz @ 60
Kent Goldings 1oz @ 20

Your base malt is still only 54% of your grist...I'd personally be shooting for this to hit 65-70%.

it looks like it could be good...why not push the envelope a bit with the low level of base malts?

If you want sweet, have you considered using some crystal malt?

As for the base malt, I was considering the golden promise to be included along with the Maris Otter as I've seen it used as a base and have had great luck with it. I added some Special B crystal to get closer to the warm sweet flavor I'm looking for. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Here's my 3rd try:

OG: 1.058, FG: 1.015, IBU: 22.3, SRM: 18.52, ABV: 5.63%

Maris Otter 7lbs
Victory 1lbs
Honey Malt 1lb
Golden Promise 1lb
Carapils 8oz
Special B 6oz
Fuggles 1oz @ 60
Kent Goldings 1oz @ 20

What do you guys think on the hops? I've got Willamette too but didn't want to load it up too much as I want this to be a smooth sweet crowd pleaser.

As for the base malt, I was considering the golden promise to be included along with the Maris Otter as I've seen it used as a base and have had great luck with it. I added some Special B crystal to get closer to the warm sweet flavor I'm looking for. I really appreciate everyone's feedback.
Here's my 3rd try:

OG: 1.058, FG: 1.015, IBU: 22.3, SRM: 18.52, ABV: 5.63%

Maris Otter 7lbs
Victory 1lbs
Honey Malt 1lb
Golden Promise 1lb
Carapils 8oz
Special B 6oz
Fuggles 1oz @ 60
Kent Goldings 1oz @ 20

What do you guys think on the hops? I've got Willamette too but didn't want to load it up too much as I want this to be a smooth sweet crowd pleaser.

Looks pretty tasty to me! If you really want to make it a malt bomb, I'd also consider mashing at a bit higher temperature.

I concur you're wise to go easy on the Victory and Honey malts. In fact, I'd choose one and sub pale malt for the other. Keep it simple; you won't go far wrong.

The Golden Promise pale malt will be completely lost in here. If you're just trying to use it up, go ahead, but don't order it special for this beer. There's no point. Hell, even Maris Otter will out-flavor Golden Promise; add some specialty grain and its flavor is pretty much gone.

Good luck!

Bob

If I was making a sweet honey nut brown (which I have been planning one for a bit) this is what I'd do:

8# Marris Otter
.5# Brown Malt
.5# British Crystal 55L
.5# Honey Malt
.25# British Crystal 135L

Mash at something high, like 156. Yeast = some not very fruity english strain. WLP036 or London Ale would be pretty good, ferment lowish.

YMMV

Back