Shipping a keg????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinibrew04

Reaction score
So, my friend in Chicago (I live in CO) wants me to supply him with homebrew in corny kegs. Other than being expensive, is there anything that would stop you from shipping a corny keg of beer via UPS? Thanks for the info guys.

A pressurized vessel via UPS filled with beer. I dont think UPS or FedEx will accept that package.

Are you licensed to ship alcohol?

From UPS website:

UPS provides service for other alcoholic beverages (beer and alcohol) on a contract basis only. For shipments containing beer or alcohol, shippers must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of beer or alcohol as applicable, must be licensed and authorized under applicable law to ship beer and alcohol, and may ship only to licensed consignees. UPS does not accept shipments of beer or alcohol for delivery to consumers. UPS accepts shipments of beer or alcohol only among and between selected states.

Yeah, I kind of figured it was a no go. I know people here ship UPS with a few bottles, but a keg being pressurized (and shaken about a lot) is probably asking for trouble. I was just wondering if anybody's actually done it. Thanks for the reply.

Greyhound's website says that alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Have you actually shipped with them?

It's just some flavored Colorado water. I would stick with shipping bottles. I ship bottles all the time and have never had a problem. I would think you need a pretty elaborate packing system for a full corny keg. Protect the top, protect the sides, etc.

It's not like it is going to have 600 psi or something, it's going to have less pressure than a spare tire in a car does.

Until it gets 30Kfeet in the air.

Bingo. You need to think about what it is subject to in transport across the country. We have serious restrictions on what we can carry. Do you know if we can carry an inflated car tire at altitude? If not, dont make that comparison.

I think that if the OP were to place a single phone call, he would get his answer much more quickly and acccurately than he will here, where he will get nothing but conjecture.

Bingo. You need to think about what it is subject to in transport across the country. We have serious restrictions on what we can carry. Do you know if we can carry an inflated car tire at altitude? If not, dont make that comparison.

I think that if the OP were to place a single phone call, he would get his answer much more quickly and acccurately than he will here, where he will get nothing but conjecture.

Shipping by air is more expensive anyway, why wouldn't you be shipping this via ground transportation?

So, my friend in Chicago (I live in CO) wants me to supply him with homebrew in corny kegs. Other than being expensive, is there anything that would stop you from shipping a corny keg of beer via UPS? Thanks for the info guys.

The expensive part would be plenty enough for me to not want to do it. Surely he can hook up with a Chicago who could fill his kegs for a song. I know Michigan Brewing Company filled one of mine for $40!

Yeah, it's not homebrew, but Goose Island was pretty tasty the last time I had it! (FWIW I do not know if they fill kegs, I'm just using them as an example...)

If he really wants to drink your homebrew, have him pay for a 6er now and then.

Don't all the keg vendors (Chi Company, midwest, etc) ship with their Kegs at around 30 PSI? I can't see why shipping a keg with beer in it pressurized to 10 PSI would be any worse than shipping an empty keg at 30.

Actually cabin pressure in most pressurized aircraft is generally only around 6000 feet. Still makes a difference, just thought I'd point this out.

Now in the event of a rapid decompression, you'd likely have more problems than an overpressurized keg of beer in the cargo compartment.

Actually cabin pressure in most pressurized aircraft is generally only around 6000 feet. Still makes a difference, just thought I'd point this out.

Now in the event of a rapid decompression, you'd likely have more problems than an overpressurized keg of beer in the cargo compartment.

#1. 8,000 feet is the standard cabin atltitude for most commercial (transport category) airframes. This is a derivative of the cruise altitude and the differential pressure. 7.8-8.3 PSI generally.

#2. Some cargo compartments are NOT pressurized, they lie outside of the pressurized vessel bulkheads.

#3. The contingencies, such as a decompression, regardless of how rapid it is, are what are planned for when deciding what can and cannot be carried. Flying is all about planning for the unexpected, which is why any transport category aircraft must have redundant systems whereas general aviation aircraft do not.

SO did the OP ever place the call?

Don't all the keg vendors (Chi Company, midwest, etc) ship with their Kegs at around 30 PSI? I can't see why shipping a keg with beer in it pressurized to 10 PSI would be any worse than shipping an empty keg at 30.

Do they use ground or air shipping? Do they have a special contract with the shipper in order to ship them?

Breweries can ship alcohol too, but you arent supposed to, just saying. Just because a business is allowed to do it due to licensing or contract, doesnt mean the average Joe can.

I can accept some hazmat shipments, but only from specific shippers.

Oh christ I'll do it. The lady has to call some one else and will call me back, bt she didn't expect any issue with it.

Did you tell her it was alcohol? Thier website sayes specifically that they do not accept shipments of alcohol.

I wonder what the outcome would be if the keg began leaking in transit and it was found to contain alcohol when those shipments are forbidden.

She called back. AS long as there is no alcohol in it, but being pressurized in fine.
There, 6 minutes with a 5 minute delay waiting for a call back. Thread Closed :D

Did you tell her it was alcohol? Thier website sayes specifically that they do not accept shipments of alcohol.

I wonder what the outcome would be if the keg began leaking in transit and it was found to contain alcohol when those shipments are forbidden.

I didn't mention alcohol because I don't want my name flagged for when I go to ship stuff for swaps. Just a pressurized vessel both full and empty of liquid.

I guess it is kind of a moot point.

If they dont accept alcohol but you are going to ship it anyway... then what does it matter if they accept pressurized vessels?

If you are going to ship one thing that they dont accept, then why would you care if it is pressurized? :drunk:

I guess it is kind of a moot point.

If they dont accept alcohol but you are going to ship it anyway... then what does it matter if they accept pressurized vessels?

If you are going to ship one thing that they dont accept, then why would you care if it is pressurized? :drunk:

This is true. Here's a thought. We all ship bottles for swaps, those are pressurized!

#1. 8,000 feet is the standard cabin atltitude for most commercial (transport category) airframes. This is a derivative of the cruise altitude and the differential pressure. 7.8-8.3 PSI generally.

#2. Some cargo compartments are NOT pressurized, they lie outside of the pressurized vessel bulkheads.

#3. The contingencies, such as a decompression, regardless of how rapid it is, are what are planned for when deciding what can and cannot be carried. Flying is all about planning for the unexpected, which is why any transport category aircraft must have redundant systems whereas general aviation aircraft do not.

SO did the OP ever place the call?

1. I know some planes (passenger, at least) have gone down to 6000. Didn't realize transport were still around 8000.

2. True, although the 141B I used to be crew on was pressurized throughout. Don't know much about the commercial sector.

3. I agree, just saying that the bleeder valve on the keg blowing is the least of your worries in the event of a rapid D.

1. I know some planes (passenger, at least) have gone down to 6000. Didn't realize transport were still around 8000.

2. True, although the 141B I used to be crew on was pressurized throughout. Don't know much about the commercial sector.

3. I agree, just saying that the bleeder valve on the keg blowing is the least of your worries in the event of a rapid D.

Passenger planes ARE transport category, they have to be... ours are new, Nov. 2008, and they are all 8,000 cabin altitude planes.

8,000 is the max, but we operate there 90% of the time as we obviously want to fly at the high end of the envelope for economic reasons.

Yeah, it's not homebrew, but Goose Island was pretty tasty the last time I had it! (FWIW I do not know if they fill kegs, I'm just using them as an example...)

Look up Half Acre. I don't know if they'd fill one for you but when they let me hang around and watch them brew they had (Sanke converted) cornies in their walk-in for their use around the brewery. And then you can have Over Ale on draft. Mmm.

Passenger planes ARE transport category, they have to be... ours are new, Nov. 2008, and they are all 8,000 cabin altitude planes.

8,000 is the max, but we operate there 90% of the time as we obviously want to fly at the high end of the envelope for economic reasons.

Makes sense... my experience with commercial procedures is very limited. Most modern planes COULD operate at sea-level pressure if they wanted to, so I guess it's more economical than anything else.

Sorry for the :off: posts.

Back