Can I Cut My Brewkit Recipe in Half?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardpack

Reaction score
Just out of curiousity, I'm starting my first homebrew effort today with a Brewer's Best Irish Stout--just if at least to run through the steps a few times before experimenting on my own...

Can I cut the recipe in half? For example, the kit I have is for 5 gallons. Can I just try and make 2.5 gallons or is there something magical about all 5 gallons?

Also, on a side note, what do people think about the "Simplest Homemade Beer" recipe?

http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_homebrew.htm

Thanks, and hope to share many more experiences with everyone!

P

Welcome to the forum! It's a great place...and although I just started out in my brewing adventures back in March, I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability:

1. Half-batches possible?
Yes! Lots of people here do 2.5 or 3 gallon batches. Sometimes, they'll even make a full batch and split it into two carboys and use different yeasts in each. It's also a good way to experiment with new recipes, and figure out you like a certain style before you make 2 cases worth of it :drunk:.

2. Simplest Recipe
While it certainly does seem "simple", would you rather have simple beer or great beer? I'd try some extract recipes from Austin Homebrew Supply, or check out the recipe database here. There are some VERY simple recipes in the database that make great beer and have been made by lots of brewers.
:mug:

Thanks for the advice and welcome, everyone! I have about two months off, so I want to try and cram as much brewing (and tasting!) into this time as possible. I'll let everyone know how it goes--and of course post any (and all) questions along the way!

p

Latest posts

Back