Will this wit grist convert properly without a step mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tegeberg

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am looking to brew a wit with something in the likes of 50% pilsner, 40% flaked wheat and 10% flaked oats, but I am doubting whether it will convert properly without doing a step mash? I have not yet embarked on step mashes.

Oh, and what are people's general take on wit grists, what is optimal and why?

Cheers!

Cant tell you whats optimal but i can tell you what worked for me. I make a wheat that is pretty much 50/50 pale malt and wheat malt with a little flaked wheat and it turns out good doing a single batch sparge. I dont think i have seen a recipe that used that much flaked wheat.

Hi guys

I am looking to brew a wit with something in the likes of 50% pilsner, 40% flaked wheat and 10% flaked oats, but I am doubting whether it will convert properly without doing a step mash? I have not yet embarked on step mashes.

Oh, and what are people's general take on wit grists, what is optimal and why?

Cheers!

You don't have to step mash, the lower temps are protein rests, just do a single infusion 148-150F

If you have hazing issues in the finished beer you can do an extended cold crash or using a fining agent.

Back