How far apart should twine be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkatz419

Reaction score
I'm a first year planter and have read dozens of posts, thanks for all the good info! I don't have a yard but I do have a large patio so I'm going to have to grow in containers. I plan to use a few large 20 gallon containers with 1 rhizome in each and a fan style trellis to attach twine to. I'd like to drop 2-3 twine lines per container but I've read that if the lines are too close, the bines will jump between them and become a mess. How close is too close? The containers are about 21" in diameter. I assume the lines need to be staked pretty close to where the bines come up too. Would one line in the center, and lines about 6" to either side be close enough to train the bines and still be far enough apart that they don't get all bunchy?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have three hop beds along my two level deck, each bed has four crowns spaced almost 3 feet apart. This being the first season I only ran one drop per crown, and once the bines had grown about 18 feet tall they started putting out side branches with a vengeance.

Every week or so I had to separate the combatants, which wasn't too big a deal because I could lean a ladder against the upper level railing. I imagine things would be a lot tougher if these were planted out in open space running up some kind of free standing support that wouldn't lend itself to a ladder.

Next year could be problematic, if most or all of the crowns put out more than one fat bine each. Halving the distance to 18" between drops will result in a battle royale between adjacent bines for sure. But each bed has a single strain, and the beds are well separated from each other, so the worst effect will be to make harvesting a curtain of hops a *****...

Cheers!

First year from rhizomes you will probably only get one or two primary bines. You can put up to 6 bines on a single twine. So, first year spacing won't be much of an issue- you can just slide the pots farther apart as they grow. Daytripper makes a good point to have plenty of separation between different varieties - (unless you don't mind a few crossovers). Some types, like Willamette grow over 40" side arms off the primary bine. IMHO I would keep different varieties at least 6 -8' apart (2X40"). In later seasons, as the plants develop spreading crowns and rhizomes; you'll be glad you spaced them out. Good luck and check in to let us know how it works out!:)

Thanks! I guess I have a follow up question which is how close to the crown does the line need to be? Can the bines grow along the ground a bit before you train them to a line? For instance if I put two lines one foot to each side of a crown is that too far away for the bines to reach to?

That'll work. The bines kinda start out flopping around anyway so you'll just need to train them towards the strings then up on them and you'll be set. You should securely stake the ends, and use a really coarse hemp rope. Random smooth cord won't work as well...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back