My Stone "Ghost" bottles (labels removed)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotched

Reaction score
These bottles sat in tub of over-concentrated Starsan for a month.

Results:

mini-ghostbottle1.jpg

mini-ghostbottle2.jpg

My guess is that the starsan etched the glass around the printing, and left a shadow.

Notes:

1.My Rogue bottles are somehow immune to starsan
2. Starsan sucks at removing paper labels, that is a job for oxyclean.

Warning: Don't do the following while drinking. Have a bucket of clear water nearby for safety. Don't do this if you are smart.... very strong acid, will cause burns, vapors will remove nosehairs.

Muriatic acid (i.e., for pool pH reduction) will take those stone prints off immediately. I've done it.

Don't do this though. You've been warned.

Warning: Don't do the following while drinking. Have a bucket of clear water nearby for safety. Don't do this if you are smart.... very strong acid, will cause burns, vapors will remove nosehairs.

Muriatic acid (i.e., for pool pH reduction) will take those stone prints off immediately. I've done it.

Don't do this though. You've been warned.

So that's how I can get my big funky Leipziger Gose bottle clean! I think I'll just keep it on the shelf for display though. I am seriously contemplating cleaning it for use though.

So that's how I can get my big funky Leipziger Gose bottle clean! I think I'll just keep it on the shelf for display though. I am seriously contemplating cleaning it for use though.

Maybe (if you are serious). I tried this on several bottles. Stone worked perfectly, not Rogue or some others. If you do try it, be cautious. This acid is strong and produces strong vapors. The only reason I recommend it at all is that it is widely available already for home use (pools).

My opinion, no etching, the StarSan simply did not remove all of the paint. I have had excellent results using a mix of 1:10 CLR and water, overnight, no ghosting.

ABandlabelromve.jpg

CLR = Calcium Lime Rust?

yes, here are a couple of pics from removing the paint from a case of 12oz bottles. Under bed plastic storage container, fill the bottles with water so they do not float, then add the solution just high enough to cover the labels. The next day the paint had mostly fallen off without having to scrub or rub at all. The CLR seems to be able to be used over and over again.

nitanny1.jpg

nitanny2.jpg

CLR nor sure how much and water topped off to cover all of the label.
sat for about a week only because I was busy/lazy and didn't get around to cleaning them, but they all wiped off easily with my hand.

-=Jason=-

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, here are a couple of pics from removing the paint from a case of 12oz bottles. Under bed plastic storage container, fill the bottles with water so they do not float, then add the solution just high enough to cover the labels. The next day the paint had mostly fallen off without having to scrub or rub at all. The CLR seems to be able to be used over and over again.

I have a bunch of those bottles that I purchased from Midwest. Is that where you got them?

For rogue bottles I've use a metal scrub pad (made for cleaning pots) I got at GFS and they came off fairly easily. The metal scrubber did nothing to stone tho. Might try this clr thing once I get a few built up.

Cheap disstilled white vinegar $3.00 I used it on corona bottles.Some comes off in a hour some you have to hit a couple times.Try it.

Thanks for posting these ideas. Before I started home brewing I collected a bunch of Stone bottles cause I thought they would be cool to use for my own IPAs. Then I decided that it wouldn't be as cool as I thought, so I was going to throw them away. Glad I saw this post.

Back