woody tasting irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deshymers

Reaction score
I did an irish red ale a few weeks ago and it has woody character. Here is the recipe I used.

US 2-Row 7.75lbs
Carapils 0.83lbs
chocolate malt .14lbs
bisuit malt 0.14lbs

Willamette 1OZ @ 60 min
fuggle 1OZ @ 30min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

I mashed in at 67C and let rest for 60 min. My Sparge water was at 70C.

I accidentally used a 1/2 whirlfloc tablet at 60 minutes instead of 15.

My fermentation was at around 19C give or take a degree.

I kegged after 10 days when I hit my FG and i did purge my tank with C02 as well so I'm confidant it didnt get oxidized, I've done it this way for several of my other beers.

I've asked the store where I bought this from as well and hes confidant it was not the malt since he has decent turn over, he suggested that it could have been my fermentation temp since he always ferments this yeast in the low range (16C - 17C). This is also the first time I've used this strand of yeast.

Another homebrewer suggested that it could have been the fuggles since they have a bit of a woody character. But this is the first time I've used fuggles so I'm not to sure.

I plan to let this keg sit and see if it mellows out, I can see it being really tasty.

Does anybody else have some more suggestions on what it could be?

Fermented 10 days on an irish red?
tasted when? - how long in the keg?

I'm guessing at the 6-8 week mark (POST fermentation) you'll like this better than now.

The chocolate and bisquit may be comming off a bit harsh it really starts the meld after a month or two. But with that small amount,maybe you are tasting the hops more.I was also noticing some people thinking willamete tastes like dirt but not with my experience with them.

well I kegged it on April 12, so its just over a week old. For what ever reason it seems longer then that. I'll pull it out of my fridge for now and let it sit.

thanks for the advice!

My guess is the hops as well!
I brewed a few beers with willamette and they had a slight, almost metallic taste.

I brewed a new batch replacing the willamette and the taste difference was like night and day!

This is just my experience though, good luck!!

Back