homemade mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
So, I decided to build a mash tun, from a 52 quart igloo cooler. My only question, now, is this- as water collects in the stainless steel braid that I constructed from a garden hose, the spigot is still about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the cooler. In order to completely remove all water from the tun, do you guys tilt the cooler near the end to ge the remaining liquid out?? Just wondering how phsyics is supposed to remove that little bit of liquid that must reamain in the tun, since it doesn't drain at the complete bottom.

Also, no matter how hard I try, it still looks as if my tun leaks one drop every 8 seconds or so. Does anyone feel this may be a problem? Should I collect the leaked wort and recycle it onto my grain bed during my mash and/or sparge?

I would fix the leak asap. As far as tilting, I do. I get every last drop out that I can. I tilt and let the tun drain while coming up to a boil. When the boil is close, I add whatever additional wort I have collected.

i made one from rubbermaid cooler check your seal on the inside mine got crimped ,from cranking it down to tight ,loosen it up a touch and re seal it with your finger tips worked on mine..

Leak is fixed! I must have one too many homebrews when I assembled it. Had the seal on the wrong side. Thanks.

Back