Question on control fermentation temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DudeBrew

Reaction score
Now that we have experienced our first high temp of 90 degrees outside, and raised the inside of our house to above 80 degrees. My question is...Is their a cheap efficient way to reduce the temp of our fermenting beer at about 65-68 degrees and not pay out on the electricity bill for our AC? Also without having to buy a refrigerator unit?

Yes. A 60 quart or larger ICE cube ice chest will hold a carboy or bucket. Most people use them with a few inches of water and some ice bottles to maintain their temps.

A piece of foam with a hole cut out for the airlock or the neck of the carboy completes the cooler.

For the ones with wheels, you just put something in the bottom to even up with the hump so the bucket/carboy is level.

I went to the Depot and picked up a 4'x8' sheet of 2" Styrofoam insulation and 15' of Velcro tape for about $50 and built a 24"x24"x20", collapsible, fermentation room. I control the temp by putting in a gallon milk jug filled with water. I freeze the jug to cool and fill it with hot water to warm my fermentor. When I don't need it, I just break it down and throw it on a shelf.

There's enough room in the cooler for a 6.5 gallon bucket, blow off collector, and the gallon jug. By rotating two frozen jugs, I can keep the temp at 65° when it's 85° outside. :)

Back