Dryhopping an American Wheat... Which hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCBigDog

Reaction score
I'm thinking half an ounce or an ounce in 5 gallons of one of the following:

Motueka
Sorachi
Zythos

Any thoughts?

The kettle hop bill is:

0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (0 min)

Sorachi would be my vote. I recently did that in a saison (Sorachi Jade Saison) and the lemon was great. I bet the lemon would go great with the grapefruit from the cascades and make for a refreshing summer wheat!

Motueka if you want a little citrus
Sorachi if you wan lemon ....I would use 1/2 an ounce very strong flavor
Zythos gives a pine flavor

I've done several batches with Sorachi ace, which gives some nice lemony notes. My all time favorite for dry hopping an American wheat, however is Amarillo. I know its not one of your choices, but it works out nice.....think Gumballhead by 3 Floydes. :rockin:

I've done several batches with Sorachi ace, which gives some nice lemony notes. My all time favorite for dry hopping an American wheat, however is Amarillo. I know its not one of your choices, but it works out nice.....think Gumballhead by 3 Floydes. :rockin:

Agree, love Amarillo. I made a Gumballhead inspired brew using Simco and Amarillo, which turned out really good.

In this batch, I'm going for more of the Boulevard Hoppy Wheat, which should hit shelves this year.

The reason I list the three hop choices, is because I have them already. I'm tempted to use .25 of each just to see what I get.

Back