India Pale Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubbel dutch

Reaction score
Been dreaming about making this for a while. The idea of a really hoppy mead entices me, as I feel like dropping a ton of hops in a high alcohol mead could be the perfect balance to its sweetness. I just wanted to open up the floor for any suggestions you guys may have for my recipe here.

For a five gallon batch...

3.13 Pilsner LME
5 lbs honey
irish moss
few bags of decaf green tea
assorted spices
yeast nutrient
yeast energizer
[hops- wondering which would be best]
[champagne or ale yeast]

my questions are...

In your opinion, is 3 oz of hops too much to add (1 oz of each: cascade, centennial, and summit)?

and

If you had to pick between an ale or champagne yeast which would you use?

Thanks!

A couple comments:
First the braggot you describe will finish very dry not sweet. Honey will ferment completely unless you exceed the alcohol tolerance of the yeast. Your recipe if it is 5 gal is well below the tolerance of even an ale yeast.
Second 3oz of hops is an entry level IPA, I usually have between 4 and 6oz of hops including dry hopping. I have seen recipes that use much more than that.
I like your choices of hops.
I would use an ale yeast for this braggot.
I think I would skip the tea and spices with all those hops. Let the hops be the spice in this one.

Craig

Thanks for the advice Craig! Maybe I'll cut it down to three gallons? That ought to raise the level of fermentable sugar and cut down on the need for extra hops. I think that's what I'll do, could use the practice on a smaller batch anyhow.

Latest posts

Back