Secondary too soon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimlohk

Reaction score
Soo...
Ive been brewing for a couple years and just recently decided to do secondary fermentations. The first batch I did ended up carbonating in the bottles VERY slowly.
I thought maybe I left it in the primary too long and that I didnt get enough yeast into the secondary and the bottles.

Soo... now I just racked my next batch into a secondary after only 3 or 4 days in the primary, and fermentation has apparently completely stopped. Im guessing that it wasnt done fermenting in the primary and that I got rid of most of the yeast that was there when I siphoned. Im also guessing theres alot of unfermented sugars left in there.

So the question...
What can I do to allow my beer to finish fermenting?

1) warm it up? Its at 62 degrees. Its been cold here, but it was doing fine before I racked it.

2) add more yeast?

3) let it sit for longer since there is less yeast to do the work?

4) pray to the beer gods for guidance?

Thanks and cheers
My first post, hello chums :)

Three to four days is a little early, usually at least week is standard.

My understanding is that the active yeast is still in suspension and should continue to work on the sugars. The main purpose of the secondary is to let the yeast settle out and make the beer more clear, if it is still cloudy you still have a good deal of yeast left. You probable did reduce the population some by taking it off the trub so they may be a little slow to restart but you should be fine if you just leave it in the secondary for two weeks.

Do you have a hydrometer? if you do take a reading and see if you are at your FG (final gravity) yet.

I would warm it up and give it a day or so to see if it takes off again...if not, then cross the "add yeast" bridge at that time. Since it seems that you are having some issues with transfer timing, a reading before deciding to transfer to the secondary would likely be helpful as suggested.

I was just using the ol' rule of thumb that if the bubbles dissapear off the surface then its time to transfer to the secondary, but that definitely doesnt work if its just too cold!

Ive had a portable heater blowing on it and its bubbling again, should fix it.
Thanks guys :mug:

Back