Custom Recipe Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
So I just got ito brewing and im pretty obsessed. My first batch was an Oktoberfest ale and is in the Fermentation process and ended its 1st week today. I used a Malt extract, grains, 2 sets of hops and yeast. I bought this from a beer recipe kit at my local brew store and want to know about the different styles of brewing. Im assuming the Malt extract id the only real factor that can be changed as well as different timing of adding things to the wort,but what can i use other than malt extract? As well as can i make custom Extract? Im gonig to buy a Glass Carboy today to start a second brew this weekend, but i want it to be my own recipe. I have the process down but i would some info on what malt extract to use or to use something else instead as well as the effects of the timing of adding the hops. Does the time effect the flavor or bitterness? Last question is if its cheaper to buy a beer ingredient kit or to buy the ingredients myself and try to make a custom brew like i want to. Basically i want to make my own custom brew but i also want it to taste good.

Welcome :mug:
I, personally, would stick with "know" recipes until you get your technique down.
I started off ordering recipe "kits" from a few of the more popular online shops. There's nothing wrong with them, I even won medals with a few. I still get many of my batches this way. It's not the recipe, but how you "treat" the ingredients. Try one style and make a few batches of that until you can get them consistant, and then change one element to see how it changes the finished beer, ie: yeast, or more/different base malt, or even just the temp you ferment at. Keep good notes on the batches. That way, when you change something, you'll have a good idea how that "ingredient" will affect other batches when you get to making your "own" recipes.
Malt extract is the main ingredient, whether you make it (all grain) or you buy it (DME or LME). However, it is only one of the components that will affect the flavor. The yeast have a large impact on the final flavor of a beer, as do the hops. There are times that you can make the same base wort, and add different yeasts, and have very different beers. When you add the hops will determine how they are perceived. "Early" hops do most of the bittering, "middle" hops do most of the flavor, and "finishing" hops do most of the aroma. Some styles use all these additions (or more), and some only 1 or 2. Also, they can be the same variety at each addition. I made a few batches of pale ale that only used Cascade hops for all the additions, even dry hopping.
Hope that helps.
Play around a little more before you try to "create" your own. Besides, it becomes yours as soon as you start the boil. :)

Extracts are the easiest way to get started. You have already taken the step to adding grains which I assume are steeping grains.

Extract alone is the easiest for a new brewer, but there are limitations on styles and complexity. Basically you have: Extra Light, Light, Amber, Dark and Wheat Extracts you can work with. They can be either liquid or dry.

The next step is adding different specialty grains as you have to change things up and get more complex recipes.

Beyond that is partial mashing which is simply using more grains and less extract. You will use some fermentable grains in addition the specialty. With this, you can do even more "custom" recipe's.

And ultimately going to all grain offers the best way to make any beer you could want.

I recommend spending time using the extracts and kits until you have read up enough and practiced enough to take the next step. Odds are you will know when that is.

I still like to make a partial mash now and then, but have got to the point where all grain is the easy choice for me. Good Luck! :tank:

So I just got ito brewing and im pretty obsessed. My first batch was an Oktoberfest ale and is in the Fermentation process and ended its 1st week today. I used a Malt extract, grains, 2 sets of hops and yeast. I bought this from a beer recipe kit at my local brew store and want to know about the different styles of brewing. Im assuming the Malt extract id the only real factor that can be changed as well as different timing of adding things to the wort,but what can i use other than malt extract? As well as can i make custom Extract? Im gonig to buy a Glass Carboy today to start a second brew this weekend, but i want it to be my own recipe. I have the process down but i would some info on what malt extract to use or to use something else instead as well as the effects of the timing of adding the hops. Does the time effect the flavor or bitterness? Last question is if its cheaper to buy a beer ingredient kit or to buy the ingredients myself and try to make a custom brew like i want to. Basically i want to make my own custom brew but i also want it to taste good.

Purchase the book, Radical Brewing, by Randy Mosher. It will help you get right on the way of making your own beers, and making sure they taste real real good.

Back