Wyeast Smack Pk question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
I ordered Wyeast Smack Packs on-line through a home brew site, and when it showed up the Packs were swelled up ??
Are these Smack Packs usable to me ?? or is this a "newbie learning mistake" and I should throw them out?? Should I start driving the 2hrs to pick up my Yeast order from now on ???

ThX All

I just drove 2hrs and picked up 2 new packs and there is a difference between the two orders.
Anything I need to do differently with the swelled packs ? Or continue on as normal making a starter with them

The wyeast website has a FAQs section that will tell you what you should do.

Per wyeast's FAQ sometimes some residual fermentables from the propagation medium are still in solution when they package so sometimes a packet will swell in transit, despite the nutrient packet not being ruptured. (BTW, it is the nutrients inside the internal packet, not the yeast.)

You would have been fine with the original packs and saved a lot of driving, just get in the habit of making proper size starters for all your liquid yeast, I've never had a wyeast pack fail me.

Latest posts

Back