Getting an Accurate Hydrometer/Refractor Reading After the Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For some reason, I feel like I am not getting an accurate Hydrometer/Refractor reading at the end of my boil. When I take a sample from the Boil Kettle, my Hydrometer Flask is filled with Floaties. I feel that this is affecting my readings. The reason I say this is that this weekends brew, I wound up with an afficiency of 64%. I normally average between 75-80%. And the wierd thing is, is that it is just this Brew. Last weekend I brewed a Russian Imperial Stout and I got lower efficiancy. That is to be expected with such a Big Beer. But this past weekend's brew was a dead Guy Ale Clone, so my Efficiency should have been right around 75%. My Pre Boil Efficiency was 74.8%. What is your method for a clear Hydrometer Sample from the Boil Kettle when you All Grain?

I cool it down with an ice bath to roughly 80 or less and pour off the clear liquid into the hydrometer tube.

When you take a sample, stir well and use a laddle or stainless scoop to scoop out your sample. Don't be tempted to get it from the drain which may have concentrated wort in it that you are unable to mix up in the sample.
I put my samples in a ball jar and label it. I then put it in the fermentation refrigerator at 65F. I do the same with my other samples. After brewing I then can take the samples all at 65F and pour off the clear wort into the hydrometer jar (no trub). Note: If you keep the hydrometer jar in the fermentation fridge as well as clean water it will not change the sample temperature. Rinse the jar well before reading other samples with hot water and then some 65F water to get the hydro jar at test temperature.
The above should improve your chances of getting good readings. Be sure to use correction factor for the temperature difference between test temperature and calibration temperature of the hydrometer.

When you take a sample, stir well and use a laddle or stainless scoop to scoop out your sample. Don't be tempted to get it from the drain which may have concentrated wort in it that you are unable to mix up in the sample.
I put my samples in a ball jar and label it. I then put it in the fermentation refrigerator at 65F. I do the same with my other samples. After brewing I then can take the samples all at 65F and pour off the clear wort into the hydrometer jar (no trub). Note: If you keep the hydrometer jar in the fermentation fridge as well as clean water it will not change the sample temperature. Rinse the jar well before reading other samples with hot water and then some 65F water to get the hydro jar at test temperature.
The above should improve your chances of getting good readings. Be sure to use correction factor for the temperature difference between test temperature and calibration temperature of the hydrometer.

Awesome iformation right there WBC. Thanks for the input.:D

Back