Stuff in beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
Ok so I have just boiled by second attempt at an AG (BIAB) beer, this time it's a lager and I now have it in a fridge coming down to pitching temps. It's a 1 imp gallon batch.

It's been in the fridge a couple of hours and a good 2 inches of crap is sitting on the bottom. I guess my question is, do I leave it there and pitch as planned when it hits 10 c or should I be trying to siphon/filter some of that out first?

sound like cold break / trub.

some people wait for it to settle, or whirpool it, then carefully rack off the top. others dump it into primary then rack off the top when going to secondary.

Wow, speedy responces, thanks guys!

I've now run it through muslin a couple of times. The first run through it took forever as it kept clogging, but by the third run it went through a breeze, hopefully I got enough out to not have too much loss at racking time but I will keep an eye on it as it cools to see if I need to do it again.

I'm using saflager s-23, the pack recommends fermenting at 11 - 15c, So I figured I'd set the fridge to a low of 10 and high of 11 and pitch once it reaches it, then ferment for 10 days or so before checking for diacetyl (not that I actually know what it tastes like yet, first lager attempt!)

I think for a porter you would be fine pitching at room temp and fermenting at 16 - 17c...?

its cold break....no worries chap...leave it in there. I personally just dump it all in, but there is debate out there as to whether cold break in the carboy will lead to off flavors, clarity issues, etc... NOT IN MY BREWHOUSE!!!!!

Back