Old Speckled Hen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bumping for any responses

so howd this one come out? it seems a bit more complicated than the original orfy recipe, and while i'm no expert on british beers, from what i've seen/read they seem to stick with a base, a specialty, and a sugar. curious if the extra variety is a plus or minus for you?

gonna brew this tomorrow in a simple version to see how it compares to my memories of the OSH. 80% maris, 10 brit crystal, 10 lyles. mash at 160, wyeast thames valley, ekgs/goldings of some combination, and going to spund near FG for a bit of smoothness and creaminess i hope.

i'm also considering adding a small amount of malted oats, say 5%, to hopefully help give a bit more smoothness. not sure if that sounds like it'd work well in the recipe?

so not sure if this is answered somewhere, quick google didnt help...

is the invert sugar supposed to be measured by volume or weight?

Do you measure normal sugar or malt by volume or weight?

Do you measure normal sugar or malt by volume or weight?
weight obviously, but i thought about this after i already mashed in, and now im sitting here doing the calcs to figure out how much i need to add.

3.5 gal batch, should have 10oz of syrup.

but- the turbinado sugar i bought came in a 24oz bag, so i used 1.5 pints. that should be a grand total of 3# total weight. but i only have a hair under 30oz of syrup.

so if there's 24oz sugar in 30oz syrup, thats .8oz sugar per oz syrup. so im thinking thats 12.5oz of syrup i need.

if i was measuring by the sugar content. but all the recipes here just say "12oz lyles golden" and no idea how that corresponds to my syrup.

Sounds like you're pretty much there - the official analysis for Lyle's is 80.5g of carbohydrate per 100g.

Back