first wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmaupin

Reaction score
made this new years eve I want to start my own tradition so every year I plan on making a small batch about 1.75 gallons of what ever I choose this year I went with a wit or maybe not this is the beersmith print out

Type: Extract
Date: 1/2/2010
Batch Size: 1.75 gal
Brewer: George Maupin
Boil Size: 2.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 40 min Equipment: Brew Pot (3 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 66.67 %
1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 33.33 %
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (40 min) Hops 41.3 IBU
0.50 oz Saaz [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 6.2 IBU
0.26 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.35 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafBrew Ale (DCL Yeast #S-33) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.075 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.29 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 47.5 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 7.7 SRM Color: Color

The abv seems A bit high for this style and yea I did to much hops for a true wit so what do I have hear no I didn't take a reading forgot to grab my hydrometer when I left the house.

the light dry extract is a late addiction trying to keep the wort as light and cloudy as possible so only 15mins for that

there you go do to the fact that this is a higher ABV how long should I ferment I was going with 3 weeks and how long should I age most go for 3 to 6 months any thoughts.

take a reading and once it reads the same after a couple of days then its done fermenting. Take a taste of the hydro sample and see if it needs that much aging, are you going to bottle or keg, if you are going to bottle then just pop one open every week or couple of weeks after the initial carb waiting period.

Back