Accurate FG after only 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosley623

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a Chinook IPA from NB. I let it ferment in the primary for 2 weeks, and transferred into the secondary to add the dry hops. I checked the FG and it was spot on, but I forgot to check the OG so I cannot say for sure.
3 weeks seems to be fairly quick but im told the hydrometer doesnt lie. Do you think I could bottle this after only 3 weeks.

So I recently brewed a Chinook IPA from NB. I let it ferment in the primary for 2 weeks, and transferred into the secondary to add the dry hops. I checked the FG and it was spot on, but I forgot to check the OG so I cannot say for sure.
3 weeks seems to be fairly quick but im told the hydrometer doesnt lie. Do you think I could bottle this after only 3 weeks.

Most beers hit FG at about 5 days, if the beer is made properly with the correct amount of yeast. The rest of the time, the beer is clearing and conditioning.

Assuming that you don't already have data indicating that the gravity's been steady for a period of time, maybe hold off a couple days and check it again. If it hasn't dropped any more you should be good to go.

The time it's had so far should certainly be ample but it would be a shame to have the yeast eat a couple more gravity points' worth in the bottle (in addition to the priming sugar you add) and give you gushers.

Yes.

I bottled my Chinook IPA (from NB) after 3 weeks and it came out well.

I've had beers hit FG in 3-4 days and I have bottled one of my beers after 10 days in primary and both of those beers were great. The beer that I bottled after 10 days took a bit longer to condition flavor wise in the bottle (3-4 weeks), as opposed to the beer I bottled after 2.5 weeks on the yeast cake that was amazingly awesome and carbed after just 5 days in the bottles. Time is not really the issue, it's the quality of the fermentation and really just how the beer tastes.

More time in primary seems to lend to quicker bottle conditioning in my opinion (I try to avoid secondary), but not all beers are the same.

Latest posts

Back