Could use advise on this Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So what do you think? Could use some advise on theis 1.75 gal BIAB.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 89.9 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2 5.6 %
3.2 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
1.16 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 58.7 IBUs
0.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 5 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25.00 ml] Yeast 6 -
0.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

I'd be inclined to say that black patent will be a bit too roasty for a typical IBA. Do you mean Carafa III dehusked? If so, that should work :).

I'd also up the hops, particularly the late additions. I realize it's a small batch, but 1.someodd ounces at the start seems really heavy for a batch smaller than 2 gallons. Perhaps .75ish at 60 and shift the remainder to flameout?

Is there anything in particular you're unsure about? If not, I'll just spout about whatever.

I feel like it needs a bit of a more moderate crystal malt to add a bit more IPA-ness to it. The 120 will do a lot, but this still kind of looks like a hoppy porter to me.

Perhaps that's the point, in which case go ahead. But I would add a bit of 60L, perhaps replacing some of the 120L.

Do you have hops other than cascades? They might be fine for a late addition, but I personally don't like the citrusy character they add at the bittering level. Not with roasted flavors especially. A clean or pungent bittering variety would be my preference here, such as columbus. Centennial would also be good if you want a resiny character.

Those amounts for late hopping will add a somewhat subtle hop flavor/aroma. I rather suspect you know this already, but just thought I'd point it out in case. I think that would work out pretty well.

I would suggest fermenting cool, if at all possible. I don't much care for the aromas that yeast gives to a hoppy beer if not fermented cool. They go away, but it takes a good 2 months.

Use Midnight Wheat malt in lieu of the Black Patent. Move or add some more hops to the end, i.e. a 20, 10, and 5 min addition. Use a cleaner yeast like US-05.

Great ideas, many thanks.
I"m new to brewing and creating recipes and so really not to sure what I'm doing at times.

I thought to make a Black IPA all I needed was to come up w/an IPA recipe and then darken it.

Not sure why I selected Cascade hops. IF it's an English IPA base I guess I should use English Hops. I do have fuggles, but could pick up a different one Saturday when I hit the LHBS.

Mahalo (Thanks) for all the help.
Revised recipe. Looked at a lot of IPA recipes and saw a lot used some Munich (which ain't English for sure), Crystal 60. I'm dropping the Black Patent which I was using for color and subing Carafa III. Also switching to Fuggles as it's an English hop. This is the new plan.

What I want is an IPA but I want it BLACK.

According to BeerSmith
OG=71 FG-17 ABV=7.2 IBU=56 SRM=29

4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 80.8 %
8.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.1 %
3.2 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.1 %
1.40 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 56.2 IBUs
0.30 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 10.0 min Hop 6 0.0 IBUs
0.15 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Aroma Steep 5.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) [25.00 ml] Yeast 8 -
0.15 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs

When you pick up the Carafa, make sure you're getting *dehusked* (or special), as otherwise it'll be roasty as all hell, and very much not IPA-ish.

Hmm... If you can't get special, you could try adding the black malt at the last 10 minutes or so of the mash. Some people prefer to do that even with dehusked, as you'll get most of the color without extracting much in the way of flavor. It'll still get *some* roast out of it, but that's OK; in my experience, an IBA benefits from at least a little bit of that character anyway.

Wow, did I make some changes. Looks like I change both grains and hops. Funny thing is I thought I cut back on the Caramel 120, but my BS recipe says I didn't. Just tasted it before the bottle and it was pretty good, little sweet, but a little bitter as well. I went for all American Hops and American Yeast since it is supposed to be an American IPA. This is what it looks like now.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US---------------------83.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L--------------10.4 %
4.8 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)--------------6.3 %
0.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]--Boil 60.0 min 57.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine--------------------Boil 5.0 mins) -
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Aroma--------Steep 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American US-05
0.50 oz Centennial [11.10 %]----------Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Decided to name it after a famous Black American - Joe Louis -

Joe Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

JoeLouisAle.jpg

C-Rider said:
Wow, did I make some changes. Looks like I change both grains and hops. Funny thing is I thought I cut back on the Caramel 120, but my BS recipe says I didn't. Just tasted it before the bottle and it was pretty good, little sweet, but a little bitter as well. I went for all American Hops and American Yeast since it is supposed to be an American IPA. This is what it looks like now.

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US---------------------83.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L--------------10.4 %
4.8 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)--------------6.3 %
0.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %]--Boil 60.0 min 57.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Malto-Dextrine--------------------Boil 5.0 mins) -
0.50 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Aroma--------Steep 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale American US-05
0.50 oz Centennial [11.10 %]----------Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Decided to name it after a famous Black American - Joe Louis -

Joe Louis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Only thing I would do is go back to using Carafa III instead of Chocolate... and I believe all Carafa is dehusked ("special"). Great hop schedule. Cheers!

Only thing I would do is go back to using Carafa III instead of Chocolate... and I believe all Carafa is dehusked ("special"). Great hop schedule. Cheers!

Yes I've since checked and found my LHBS carries the dehusked Carafa. I'll keep that in mind next time I want the dark color. This recipe needs some tweeking yet, but I'll wait until it's carbed. I think this is a "do again batch".

Back