Stir Plate Wiring Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thehopguy

Reaction score
I bought a 92mm 3 speed fan at frys for cheap and found some old 12VDC wall worts. But im a wiring newb, and thats putting it lightly. What do I do with this. My fan has 3 wires, looks like a red, black, and white (see pic), but my wall wort only have 2 wires. Is this gonna work??

fan.jpg

Ok. Red positive, black negative. White is the speed controller lead that goes back to the computer. Just hook up the red and black to positive and negative respectively

I ended up stripping all the wires, so i've got 3 coming out of the fan. And I have 2 wires from my 12VDC. I think ive tried about every combination I cant seem to get this to start. With each configuration one wire isnt connected to anything, i just put a Wire Connecting Cap on it, is this wrong to do?

Anyway I dunno, maybe the fans a dud. I know the wall wort works because I used got it to start a different 120mm PC fan ( which only has 2 wires a red and black ).

The fan in my stir plate was a 92mm...would there be any problems in just using the 120mm if I cant get this to work?

I can see yellow and red wires towards the center of the fan can you take a pic of that?

Should I consider just buying another fan that has 2 wires. Or I can use the 120 mm fan I know works if that isn't too big

I would just go ahead and use the 120mm if it fits in your box. As far as I know there is nothing to say you have to use a certain size.

Back