BIAB split batch APA series idea, suggestions sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRamey

Reaction score
I am working on an APA series of 4 beers and want some feedback and imput. Each beer will have the same recipe, but feature a different hop (Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, and a hop to be named later) I don't want to do full 5 gallon batches for each of these so I plan on doing a big mash (approx 6.5 gallons) then splitting that into two boils(3.25 batch size to the fermenter)

The problem I have is this:

I've only done BIAB full volume no sparge brewing, I have a 10 gallon pot, the large mash will not fit in my pot.

My initial solution is:

Mash with less water, (lower mash thickness number) add additional water to get to full volume after my mash out is complete.
If I was to do full volume my mash thickness would be 2.91 and it wouldn't fit. I plan on doing a mash thickness of 2.5 which would take up 9.5 gallons of space...should fit.
THEN
Split the batch in half (I plan to hold onto one pot and weigh myself then the other pot and match up the weights - this seems like there may be a better way)
Then
Boil each half batch separately, learn a bunch, makes some great beer.

Here is my recipe:
http://hopville.com/recipe/1183490/american-pale-ale-recipes/apa-series-mash-master-recipe

7 lbs 2 row
5 lbs munich
1.5 lbs 60L

and my mash/batch numbers

combined batch size 6.5 gallons
Boil off 2.4 gallons (1.4 gallon per hour in my 10 gallon pot, plus 1 gallon per hour in my 7.5 gallon pot)
grain absorption .95 gallons (at .070707 gallons per pound - I squeeze the hell out of the bag

My questions to the group:
Has anyone done this? Did it work?
What can I do to improve this plan?
Thoughts on the fourth hop?
Any recipe critique?

Sorry for the long intro, but I'd really appreciate your help.

Weighing the batches for the even split seems like a good idea.

Maybe try a lower AA, non-traditional Pale Ale hop for the fourth one?

My questions to the group:
Has anyone done this? Did it work?
What can I do to improve this plan?
Thoughts on the fourth hop?
Any recipe critique?

I do BIAB (I don't do full volume mash tho), but i've done this a few times and it works

your plan sounds fine. i use volume to split mine

Columbus

split the 30min add between 60 and dry hop. I like to FWH instead of 60min adds

It'll be fine. Lower your efficiency numbers some (can always top-off) and remember to stir and squeeze like hell when you mash-out.

Back