no chill hop thread 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkov

Reaction score
i know theres a thread just like this but my situation is different. i plan on brewing tommorow afternoon and debating on the hoping schedule.
orginal hop schedule:
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood FWH
1.00 oz. Columbus 60 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood 30 min.
1.50 oz. Mt. Hood 0 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Dry Hop

no-chill hop schedule:
1oz mt.hood FWH
1oz columbus 40mins
.5 mt.hood 10mins
1.50 mt.hood dry hop
1oz columbus dry hop

the only thing is, its going to be about 40F tommorow, and im going to let the brew cool in the pot(with the lid on) outside tommorow before i transfer to primary. so im not sure about how long it will take. i can also spray the outside of the pot with the hose for about 2mins every once in awhile(probably like once every 30mins for 2mins) to help cool.

do you think i should still use the no-chill hop schedule? or what do you think i should do? thanks

I never really considered there might be a utilization difference until I started frequenting this forum and saw the Pol's very useful chart. It suddenly made a lot of sense why I was always wanting to cut down the hops in the recipes I saw online. I chill inside during the summer at 70F or so and outside during the winter at whatever the low is (provided it's not freezing). I have a pale ale I brew every fall around October. Since I had enough hops left over, I brewed the same batch this summer. It was noticeably more bitter this summer than it's ever been. Since I was using the same hop batch I got the previous October if all other factors were equal (I huge "if") it should be less bitter. I have that same batch fermenting again (with a new batch of hops with almost identical AA) and the hydro samples taste like they're back to what I consider normal but we'll see for sure when it's ready. The best answer I can give right now is "I think so but I'm not sure."

I want to eliminate other factors so my next brew is going to be a 10 gallon batch split in two. One half will be chilled outside at a low somewhere near 40F (typical for this time of year) and the other will be chilled inside at 70F. I'm going to see if there is a noticeable difference. Based on my previous experience, I suspect there will be but I don't know for sure right now. There could be other factors at work.

37F and raining out

decided to use:
1.00 oz. Mt. Hood FWH
1.00 oz. Columbus 50 min.
0.50 oz. Mt. Hood 20 min.
1.50 oz. Mt. Hood 0 min.
1.00 oz. Columbus Dry Hop

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd resurrect this one. I'm brewing this weekend using no-chill for the first time. I don't have one of the cool 6 gal barrels the original thread references.

I went to the Aussie brew site (as well as here) and saw people successfully keeping the wort in the brew kettle and letting it cool there, then carefully xfering to the fermentor. I plan to do this method.

I've got Pol's chart on his hop schedule changes for his no-chill brewing as a guide.

I have three hops additions, and kit has a 60 minute boil time.
Original schedule from kit instructions:
2 oz Crystal - 60 min
0.5 oz Crystal - 15 min
0.5 oz Crystal - 5 min

Three questions re: hop schedule -

1. Do I pump up my boil time to 90 like Pol or keep it at 60?

2. The 15 min addition becomes FWH @ 30min IBU. I don't have brewing software, so I'm unclear how to adjust the quantity for that. I apologize...I'm a new brewer and haven't taken the brew software step yet.

3. The 5 min addition becomes "at Transfer." Since I'm cooling in the brewkettle, do I just toss the full amount at flameout as Pol does (knowing that it will be in the cooling wort for about 24 hrs before transfer to carboy), or adjust down the qty since it will be sitting in the hot wort longer than it would for Pol?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd resurrect this one. I'm brewing this weekend using no-chill for the first time. I don't have one of the cool 6 gal barrels the original thread references.

I went to the Aussie brew site (as well as here) and saw people successfully keeping the wort in the brew kettle and letting it cool there, then carefully xfering to the fermentor. I plan to do this method.

I've got Pol's chart on his hop schedule changes for his no-chill brewing as a guide.

I have three hops additions, and kit has a 60 minute boil time.
Original schedule from kit instructions:
2 oz Crystal - 60 min
0.5 oz Crystal - 15 min
0.5 oz Crystal - 5 min

Three questions re: hop schedule -

1. Do I pump up my boil time to 90 like Pol or keep it at 60?

2. The 15 min addition becomes FWH @ 30min IBU. I don't have brewing software, so I'm unclear how to adjust the quantity for that. I apologize...I'm a new brewer and haven't taken the brew software step yet.

3. The 5 min addition becomes "at Transfer." Since I'm cooling in the brewkettle, do I just toss the full amount at flameout as Pol does (knowing that it will be in the cooling wort for about 24 hrs before transfer to carboy), or adjust down the qty since it will be sitting in the hot wort longer than it would for Pol?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

1. I do 60 minute boils unless a particular recipe calls for it.

2. BeerSmith has a free trial and there are several free online ones. You could just toss the whole amount in at flame out.

3. Just throw them in the pot. I wouldn't adjust the quantity.

You know you can no chill in those plastic buckets. Did two last weekend. Just sanitize something and stick it in the grommet hole. Or I got some tin foil, laid it across the hole and turned a glass upside down to help weight it down.

Back