oily like look on top?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeekysheep

Reaction score
i'm not really to worried about it but i was kinda wondering what to expect when i go to bottle in a week. I have a beer that has been fermenting for 7 months 2 in primary and 5 in secondary undisturbed at about 59 deg f. i have been waiting to let the flovors tone down because i made 2 batches of it when i was playing with all grain and the hops are higher then i like. i just made a beer to blend with it and now that i look at the first batch it seems a bit darker and there is something floating on the top in a thin layer kinda like some one put a bunch of oil on the top and it's just floating there.

anyone have an idea of what it might be ? i have never let a beer age that long in a carboy.

I've had this happen before. Most of the time it's when I use a lot of hops. Not to worry. Never had a problem. I can say I've never had much luck in blending a batch.

Back