Smoking Meat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Humpsalot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
SWMBO and I just acquired a smoker off of craigslist. Paid $35 for it. It's a horizontal smoker, Char-Grill(?) brand. It's pretty small, but we absolutely needed to buy a grill and when this came up on craigslist I couldn't say no. Now, I know that some people (EdWort) have much fancier setups, but any links or tips you can provide will be appreciated. We don't have a manual for it or anything.

Last night, we just hurriedly tossed some salmon on the smoker for about 4 hours at 200 degrees (plus/minus 50 degrees). Clearly, that was not enough heat, so we wound up finishing it off in the oven for 10 minutes at 350. It turned out a bit dry, but otherwise quite tasty. We were using a bit of charcoal along with maple wood.

Should you always use a pan of water to help keep things moist? Should it be kept in the firebox? Any other tips?

Sir Humpsalot said:
SWMBO and I just acquired a smoker off of craigslist. Paid $35 for it. It's a horizontal smoker, Char-Grill(?) brand. It's pretty small, but we absolutely needed to buy a grill and when this came up on craigslist I couldn't say no. Now, I know that some people (EdWort) have much fancier setups, but any links or tips you can provide will be appreciated. We don't have a manual for it or anything.

Last night, we just hurriedly tossed some salmon on the smoker for about 4 hours at 200 degrees (plus/minus 50 degrees). Clearly, that was not enough heat, so we wound up finishing it off in the oven for 10 minutes at 350. It turned out a bit dry, but otherwise quite tasty. We were using a bit of charcoal along with maple wood.

Should you always use a pan of water to help keep things moist? Should it be kept in the firebox? Any other tips?

I'm kind of a n00b at this as well, but so far everything I've done has been pretty tasty. The key is low and slow--I recently did a turkey breast and I kept it beteen 225°-250° for about 8 hours and it turned out so moist and juicy it was about perfect. I kind of screwed up on the brine though, I added too much salt to it. I'm going to attempt another tomorrow afternoon, actually.

I've not used a pan of water in the smoker...I'm curious as well if that keeps things moist.

Cue EdWort. ;)

Sir Humpsalot,

The smoking meat subject title sorta caught my attention. Sounds a little suggestive with the name and all.

Try a brisket over night. If you have pecan it works great.

Well, on the Big Green Egg, there's not need for a water pan as the lid has a gasket and it keeps things from drying out.

For salmon filets, I wash them, then coat both side with Dizzy Pig Ragin River Rub and I cook mine at 325 to 350 and takes about 30 minutes. I toss a bit of alder or pecan for smoke and I drizzle a little maple syrup and melted butter on them before taking them off.

Here's the recipe. It rocks!

The best smoked salmon you will ever taste is made like this..with a dry brine.

Mix 3 parts brown sugar and 1 part salt together

Spread salmon fillet on plastic wrap.

Coat top of salmon completely with brine mixture.

Cover with plastic wrap.

Set in fridge for 24 hours

Uncover fillet and wash off brine. Let sit out for an hour to glaze over

Smoke at 200-225 for 2-3 hours. ENJOY

FYI the brine mixture cooks the salmon overnight, so the smoking part just finishes up the cooking and adds the good flavor. I use hickory/apple for my wood

gonzoflick said:
The best smoked salmon you will ever taste is made like this..with a dry brine.

Mix 3 parts brown sugar and 1 part salt together

Spread salmon fillet on plastic wrap.

Coat top of salmon completely with brine mixture.

Cover with plastic wrap.

Set in fridge for 24 hours

Uncover fillet and wash off brine. Let sit out for an hour to glaze over

Smoke at 200-225 for 2-3 hours. ENJOY

FYI the brine mixture cooks the salmon overnight, so the smoking part just finishes up the cooking and adds the good flavor. I use hickory/apple for my wood

Did you get that from Alton?

Humm.. never thought to smoke them with the brine still on the fish.. and I like the honey coating idea

Back