CPVC Whirlpool Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbtenor

Reaction score
I've been reading up a lot on the recirculating immersion chiller idea and want to experiment with it but not commit to copper until I knew if it worked for me and my setup and the ideal design. CPVC seems like a great way to tinker on the cheap, but I don't know. The stuff I have is rated to 185*F, but if I had a big temperature differential, like an ice bath, and tested it with water at 180*F, would the CPVC be OK? The biggest chilling challenge I have is below 100*F anyway. I was looking at a simple design, then cutting a few different lengths of tubing to experiment with the return coming both above and below the liquid line, and both inside and outside of the coil. Thoughts?

First off, the reason for copper is for the high thermal conductivity. The CPVC will act more like an insulator than a conduit for the heat. Secondly, since a wort chiller is for chilling boiling hot wort (212degF). I would never use a product that was not rated for that temperature. If i were you I'd bite the bullet and use copper. We know it works and it will last you a lifetime.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I was just looking at the CPVC for the wort returning from the pump into the kettle (whirlpool chiller ala Jamil). Once I figure out the right dimensions through CPVC experiments, I was going to add a permanent wort return with copper. I've read the whirlpool chiller is as effective as CFCs or plate chillers, basic thermodynamics principles and all, but wanted to test it for myself.

So if I understand correctly you are going to drian the wort off, cool it to ~70 and pump it back into the kettle causing a whirlpool until the whole thing is ~70?

I think that would work. I am not sure how effecient it would be. I am intrested if it is actually as effecient as a CF or plate chiller! Give it a shot

I dont see any issues with using CPVC on the return lineunless it is hooked up to the kettle durring the boil in which case it will get too hot from radiant heat going through the connnection.

Back