Vacuum Sealers for hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K-Bizzle

Reaction score
I've got 3 lbs of hops from Hops Direct.
They've been sitting in my freezer for awhile now because I don't have anyway to seal smaller amounts once I open a bag.

Anyway what are you guys using to seal your hops?

FOODSAVER... they are PERFECT!

We just bought 50 POUNDS in a hop buy... FoodSavers are a must!

+1 on the foodsaver (or seal-a-meal, whatever you can buy). I had some fresh Nugget hops from a friend, and put them in 1oz bags myself just so I could easily apportion them out in my recipes.

Suck the air out, and then freeze. Simple as that, you end up with the equivalent of "plugs".

Ziplock vacuum bags are a cheap alternative to a food saver and work great.

Umm I think they are all equally kick butt.

I bought mine with 2 canisters and several extra rolls of bag material for like $70 with a special coupon code this past spring. The retail was upward of $170...

They are all good, and for sealing hops, you dont need it to be fancy.

I am at this moment sealing up Ground Chuck into 1lb bags! I LOVE this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in bed bath and beyond the other day and they had a knock off of that reynolds handivac for $7. I almost bought it to try out on hops but I was unsure of its vacuum abilities. I might go back and pick one up, if they have any left. There were like 4 of em on clearance.

Definitely get a Foodsaver if you also do any cooking much. One of the low-end models is fine. I bought it for hops, but it comes in really handy for sealing foods as well.

I've a Black and Decker knock off foodsaver and it works great as well.

Maybe pricy, but you'll only need to buy it once. :)

I got a cheap model of a food saver or seal-a-meal or whatever. Reminds me to break up that lb of cascade I bought. I've used mine for other things for a while and love it. Just would like to get the O2 bags for hops. Probably not critical since i'm goign to be freezing them anyway, but would be nice nonetheless.

You can also re-seal those bags from hopsdirect with a iron - when I ran out of foodsaver bags I just purged the bags with CO2 and hit them with a hot iron... it's a good second-best method if you don't have a food saver.

I bought one of these recently and only about half of the the bags actually stay sealed. Anyone else have this problem?

I put the hops in a regular baggie first, zip it almost closed, then I put (two usually) in the quart bags and suck the air out. Then I put a little piece of tape over the airlock part. I get 2 ounces in each quart bag, that is then separated to ounces in the inner ziplocks.

I put the hops in a regular baggie first, zip it almost closed, then I put (two usually) in the quart bags and suck the air out. Then I put a little piece of tape over the airlock part. I get 2 ounces in each quart bag, that is then separated to ounces in the inner ziplocks.

See, I am just too lazy.

Also, I got mine when they had that coupon code out and you could get a $170 unit for like $60

See, I am just too lazy.

Also, I got mine when they had that coupon code out and you could get a $170 unit for like $60

I thought about it at the time, but I prefer to have 10 - 15 gallons of beer for $60 at the time. If I save up some cash I may get a food-saver (which I did suggest) but my brewing budget is tight right now. I already tried passing it off on the kitchen appliance budget, no go.

Avoid the Dani vacuum sealer. It's POS. I borrowed one to try out and it won't hold the seal worth a damn. I'll spring for a real Foodsaver as soon as I can save up some bucks.

I used a foodsaver this weekend to break down 24 oz of hops into individual 1oz bags. Just used the manual seal to make 4 pouched bags. Worked like a champ. Not exactly sure which model, something like V28XX, may just have to go out and buy one.

Should be here tomorrow!
I can't wait.
I've been sitting on 3 lbs (centenial, cascasde, amarillo) of hops for a couple months now and haven't brewed because I've been waiting to break these down.

Gonna brew an IPA this weekend (probably a Two Hearted Clone).

I just sealed a pound of hopsdirect.com German Magnum pellets in a quart-sized mason jar using the Foodsaver Universal Lid, and it worked like a champ. The feedback I read on Amazon was that you shouldn't expect the seal to hold for more than about 3 months, but since I figure I'll be going back to use the Magnum in the next month, I'll just reseal it when I've taken out what I need. This isn't a long-term storage solution, but a great way to keep things fresh in between uses!

The foodsaver V2040 is the worst kitchen appliance I have purchased in a long time. I may have received a poorly made example but it does not work at all....

Latest posts

Back