Help with recipe - strawberry cream ale for SWMBO

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamsomito

Reaction score
I've got a gift card to Northern Brewer, and the wife wants a strawberry ale featuring fresh Michigan strawberries. I've made a banana beer before and while half my bottles exploded, it was a lot of fun. Figured I could do one fruit ale per year, that's ok with me.

Anyway, I'm thinking about getting this cream ale kit: http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...t-kits/extract-ale-kits/cream-ale-extract-kit

And adding 0.5lb caramel 40, and 4-8oz lactose to add back some sweetness and mouthfeel after the strawberries dry it up.

Thinking 8lbs of strawberries, mashed with starsan/vodka, dumped in secondary.

Thoughts?

I'm going to say that strawberries don't really dry up a beer but that is based only on my experience with a strawberry beer. 8 pounds is a lot and perhaps that could dry out the beer after all. For me, what I used didn't dry out the beer at all as far as I could tell. I generally dislike real dry beers.
If your wife doesn't like beer then 8 pounds will definitely mask a lot of that beer flavor I think. I used just under 3 pounds of frozen strawberries. I think you could actually clean your strawberries real well, freeze them and then skip soaking them in vodka.

I had a strawberry cream ale at little egypt brewing in ava IL. Ken over there decided against putting the juice in secondary and just kept the juice in the fridge and added a shot at serving time. Way better than any other I've ever had.

I have a Strawberry Centennial Blonde on tap right now. My wife, as well as everyone else that has tried it enjoys it. We are 2/3 through the batch in about 3 weeks. It is biermuncher's recipe racked on berries the original thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

I washed and quartered 3 lbs of fresh strawberries. I then froze them in a ziploc bag. After 2 weeks in primary I dropped my frozen berries into a 5g carboy and racked the primary onto them. Left it for 4-5 days in my fermentation chamber still at 65-68° till the berries turned white. Then I kegged. grain to berries to glass in 3.5 weeks.

I brew all grain but here is an extract version from that thread:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Look for the Hella Vanilla Cream Ale recipe here on the form. You'll see reading through it that someone made it into a strawberries and cream ale which sounds absolutely delicious. I've made the regular Hella Vanilla and I can't wait to brew the strawberry version.

I have a Strawberry Centennial Blonde on tap right now. My wife, as well as everyone else that has tried it enjoys it. We are 2/3 through the batch in about 3 weeks. It is biermuncher's recipe racked on berries the original thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=42841

I washed and quartered 3 lbs of fresh strawberries. I then froze them in a ziploc bag. After 2 weeks in primary I dropped my frozen berries into a 5g carboy and racked the primary onto them. Left it for 4-5 days in my fermentation chamber still at 65-68° till the berries turned white. Then I kegged. grain to berries to glass in 3.5 weeks.

I brew all grain but here is an extract version from that thread:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

How is the strawberry flavor using 3#?

Whelp, went ahead with the Hella Vanilla Cream Ale recipe, plus an extra half pound of caramel 40 and 6oz of lactose. Finished fermenting at 1.014, so still a bit sweet. I think that's perfect though, because I added 6 pounds of strawberries that will likely thin it out a bit. Going for a sweet, strawberries and cream ale here. Came out amazing. Color is unreal.

Vanilla bean / vodka mixture. Sat for 2 weeks. Smelled amazing.
UKX84Jll.jpg

6lbs of chopped and frozen strawberries. Picked off the bush fresh a couple months ago. (added vanilla vodka mixture)
iJ7IYyMl.jpg

Pureed with submersion blender, heated to 170 for 10 mins, cooled in the fridge (lidded) for 1 hour.
vlTsSy2l.jpg

Poured into secondary. Stains on my shirt look like blood, so that's cool.
tLZ0d66l.jpg

Racked.
VPiE3eIl.jpg

And there she sits for another couple weeks until bottling. Can't wait.
Gk4tIBxl.jpg

Back