Making starter using California lager yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcs401

Reaction score
I will be doing my first lager this weekend. It's going to be the recipe out of John palmers book which is a California common. I understand for the most part how to do a starter but for a lager yeast, do I leave it in the flask on a stir plate in a temp controlled fridge to reproduce at that temperature or do I leave it on the stir plate at room temp? Also, once cooked and after pitching into flask, how long do I leave a starter on the stir plate?

Leave the starter to ferment at room temperature.

Depending on the yeast, if it's constantly being stirred, it should finish in a day or two. But let the yeast be your guide. After a couple of days, turn off the stir plate and let it sit for 5 minutes. Look in the flask: Do you still see tiny CO2 bubbles rising to the top? Then the yeast are still working. But generally, I let mine ride the stir plate for 36 hours, then into the fridge to cold crash for 36 more before decanting and pitching.

So it's the same process for ale and lager yeast?

I actually made a Cali lager starter a few weeks ago and I am not impressed with how well it claims to create brilliantly clear beer. My yeast starter had a tough time drop out of suspension even though I put it in the fridge. I'm yet use it on a brew so i can't comment on how well it attenuates. Your starter looks fine.

So I fermented this at 60 degrees for 2 days. Was this bad to cement at this temp and not room temp? I tried to ferment it close to what the main batch of beer will be

Ok so first of all, relax. No need to panic here. You're on the right track.

1. Your starter looked fine. That's hot break forming. Totally normal.
2. You were a touch light on the DME. You want a 10:1 ratio of water to DME by weight. You were probably about 25:1. A 1.040/10:1 pilsen DME starter has an orange hue. This is not a huge deal but it limits your growth potential.
3. The yeast should be done by 24-36 hours if at room temp. Shine a flash light on it and see if any bubbles are rising. Once complete, cold crash for a day or two and decant immediately prior to usage.
4. 60F is fine but 70F would net you better growth in a shorter period of time.

Do you think this is enough yeast growth I got from my starter. It will be a 2.5g California common lager brew with OG 1.43

So I pitched my yeast on Monday. I looked at the airlock today and there still is barely any bubbles. Should I try to pitch dry yeast? Or just let it be?

Back