Reall quick pancake then airlock stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McLompoc

Reaction score
I just brewed a stout that my brother and I had brewed about 6 years ago. The recipie called for 2 packs of windsor dry ale yeast, In less that 5 hours it was going of like I have never seen! That was Sunday. Today when I got home the pancake was about gone, and the airlock was bubbling every 2 minutes. I was going off every second when I checked it tis morning. Did I over yeast? The last batch of this stout was one of the best beers we have ever brewed!:mug:

You'd love my pancake recipe with sour cream for sure, with the maple syrup I get from my brother in Traverse City, MI, and most likely the hand made shrimp scampi I cooked last night too. Granddaughter ate 15 shrimp and she just turned 4!:rockin: When I am not brewing I am cooking!

As for the beer, it looks and smells awesome. I know sometimes the yeast acts quickly, but I just bottled an IPA I dry hopped in a secondary. The airlock was pretty consistent for about 3-4 days before slowly settling down during primary. I guess the abrupt stoppage on this one got me a tad worried.

BTW does anyone use vodka in the airlock? I have been told it is better than water.

Vodka >>> water

Vodka keeps things sanitary and it doesn't matter if a little gets sucked in.

Nice. Didn't want to stick my foot in my mouth but it is how my brother and I have done it before. Only 1 person told us if sucked in it would ruin our beer, so we said 9 out of 10 must be right. We use a french grape vodka.

Yep, vodka in my airlock as well. Don't pay too much attention to the airlock activity though. As the venerable Revvy tells us,

"Yea, though thine airlock remaineth as calm as the face of the waters, fermentation doth occur!"

...or something like that.

Yep, vodka in my airlock as well. Don't pay too much attention to the airlock activity though. As the venerable Revvy tells us,

"Yea, though thine airlock remaineth as calm as the face of the waters, fermentation doth occur!"

...or something like that.

Seems about right :D

Pancake was a knick name my brother gave the krausen years ago, so it kind of stuck with me.

Back