Using yeast from another batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gio

Reaction score
So I've had a belgian dubbel in a secondary for about 4 weeks now. The flavor is not bad but it does not have the fruity esters that I was hoping for. A friend of mine suggested tossing some fruit in. I figured why not, so I split the batch up into two 3 gallon carboys and added dried currants and plums to one and dried balaton cherries to the other.

I figured I would have to ferment again since the sugar in the fruit could cause bottle bombs if I was still there when I bottled. The problem is that the dubbel has been cold conditioning at about 44 degrees for 4 weeks now and I was worried the yeast was no longer viable. (I used Wyeast 1214, the chimay yeast). I didn't want to spend another 8 bucks and a pack of yeast and didn't know when I'd make it to the LHBS and then I had an idea. I saw I had a belgian quad fermenting with a nice big krausen on it and so I used a turkey baster, sucked some of it and added it to my dubbel. It's Wyeast 3787, the westmalle yeast so it's not the same strain but I figured it was maybe close enough. Do you think this will work? I wasn't sure how much krausen to suck up. I probably only got about 1/2 cup or so for each carboy.

I would think that if you raised the temp into the mid 70s and gave a swirl, that the original yeast strain should wake up. Sorta like bottle conditioning.

Back