Keg door won't seal...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridge Runner

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a cornie keg they couldn't get to hold pressure? Looks like 3 of the 4 donated kegs I have leak around the door. I replaced the door O-ring. First I tried 10psi and then 30psi. I've read other posts where people say flip the door around but that won't work on my pin-lock kegs. The posts are in the way. I think the top of the keg got bent or something. Ever have a keg that never would seal right?

I took my kegs apart, and cleaned them well. I then made sure that all the rubber (o-rings and poppets... etc) were coated with grease. This helped a couple of my kegs to stop leaking CO2.

You might try and swap lids between kegs. Some may fit better than others as many have various dents and bends.

+1 on keg lube.

I've got keg lube. I think I'll try swapping lids. One lid's no good. Gas pours out the pressure relief valve. I'll have to do a little research into the price of a new keg door. Maybe I'll sell my one good pin-lock keg and switch to ball-locks. They seem to be more readily available around here and generally more preferred, although I'm not sure why.

I prefer my ball locks only because they fit into a small kegerator better. The extra width of the pin lock kegs make them more difficult to fit into a kegerator.
I actually prefer the post action of the pin locks, as you know they are on correctly. Other than that, it just easier having only one type.

You might try and swap lids between kegs. Some may fit better than others as many have various dents and bends.

+1 on keg lube.

That worked!!! Thanks Dr. V :rockin: After fiddling around with various parts(lids & poppets) from 3 kegs and some keg lube, I managed to get one to hold pressure. So 2 out of 4 of my donated kegs are functional. Guess I'll stick with pin-locks for now.

Latest posts

Back