Forgot/lost yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twhenk

Reaction score
So I brewed a batch of beer and got all the way to pitching the yeast and I could not find the yeast. Unfortunately I was on my way out of town the next day and was gone for two weeks. I capped the fermentor and left it alone. My question is can I now pitch the yeast and expect good beer.

Thanks

Well illl give it a shot. I guess I'll find out how good my sanitation practices are...

That's where I was going with that. Two weeks is awhile but if there isn't anything living on the surface it is worth a shot. If anything you will remember next time. Good luck

If it were me. I would check to see if it seemed OK (nothing growing, and no off smell). Pour it into a pot (or multiple pots), heat to kill anything that might be in it (only need 160 F, but can boil if you like), cool, aerate, and pitch.

Even if it seems OK, 2 weeks is a long time to leave it and you might have some contamination in there.

compare the gravity with the gravity you had when you put it in there, if they are the same i wouldn't worry,

regardless i would pitch yeast

So I brewed a batch of beer and got all the way to pitching the yeast and I could not find the yeast. Unfortunately I was on my way out of town the next day and was gone for two weeks. I capped the fermentor and left it alone. My question is can I now pitch the yeast and expect good beer.

Hopefully bad microbes didn't have their way with your wort. Only way to know would be to pitch the yeast and sample it once fermentation has completed. It would be interesting to see how it turns out. Make sure to let us know!

Goblism said:
compare the gravity with the gravity you had when you put it in there, if they are the same i wouldn't worry,

This. Smell it too

+1 on this, but i would be surprise if you have nothing growing it there

Back