Paranoid question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panagiotis

Reaction score
.........but still a question:confused:
Today i received my kegging system (NC keg with.....CC fittings:mad::mad:). Complete with a nice pressure gauge (had my eyes on it for a loong time :p:p:p)

What i am asking has in fact already been answered in the past but i thought it wouldnt hurt to hear your considerations again.
And the question is this: doesn't the new gauge need to be sanitized in some way before inserting it in the sanitized Co2 line? Who knows in what conditions it has been stored and for how long. Do you think just purging it with Co2 a couple of times would be sufficient? (need to pressure test the keg anyway......if i find the correct fittings).
Thanks a lot.

I never sanitized my tank/reg,or even my c02 Lines, connectors or posts. If you're worried about it though, just spray your post with some starsan and put the connector on. If any bugs come down to the wet post, they'll be killed. Starsan is a wet contact sanitizer. I've not ever had a problem though with out it. I sanitize the post and dip before putting them on the keg and that's it on the gas side.

What type of bug lives in a pressurized, dark, cold, 100% CO2 environment, that would also still live/be able to infect a 4-8% ABV beer at the end of that line? Not being snide, I'm really asking the question to see if anyone knows. Maybe mold? I always sort of figured that the conditions for life wouldn't be too good in the gas lines, so I've always just taken a "hands off" approach...

I spliced a filter into the CO2 line. It's a $5 filter that you can find at most LHBS or online. Some gas tanks are not well maintained and you have the potential for rust or other impurities. $5 is a cheap insurance for me against the tiny chance of messing up a batch of beer. Agree that infection issues would be pretty remote.

Yes i was dubious about using that kind of a filter in a line with such pressure (but if i am said it has been tested i will have to consider it).
As about the "second" choice, it has already been said that it's very highly priced for what it claims to offer (i am not THAT paranoid :p :p).

Yes i was dubious about using that kind of a filter in a line with such pressure (but if i am said it has been tested i will have to consider it).
As about the "second" choice, it has already been said that it's very highly priced for what it claims to offer (i am not THAT paranoid :p :p).

There's a reason I found that link so quickly...I'm not THAT paranoid either!!:mug:

doesn't the new gauge need to be sanitized in some way before inserting it in the sanitized Co2 line?

I'd make sure all the connectors and lines were sanitized but as for the regulator - - - - - - there's not much you can do short of Ethylene oxide gas sterilization or maybe Cobalt 60 like they use for medical device sterilization.

Any fluid you run through it will probably wreck it.

So you'll just have to use regular filters and hope the factory assembly people washed their hands after doing their business.

Back