Feedback on this ESB recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frailn

Reaction score
Let me know your input on this ESB recipe I am attempting to create.

Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Mike's ESB
Brewer: 
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 8.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
8.00 lb       7.5 (3.0 SRM)                             Grain        84.21 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        10.53 %       
0.50 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)     Grain        5.26 %        
0.50 oz       Brewer's Gold [9.60 %]  (60 min)          Hops         17.0 IBU      
1.00 oz       Hallertauer [4.60 %]  (60 min)            Hops         16.3 IBU      
0.50 oz       Hallertauer [4.60 %]  (20 min)            Hops         4.9 IBU       
1 Pkgs        Pacman (Rogue)                            Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 9.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
45 min        Mash In            Add 27.00 qt of water at 163.5 F    158.0 F       

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question is, are you trying to brew to the style guidlines or just make something that tastes good?

If you want to make a "real" ESB I would use an English yeast strain (I love 1968) and more classically English hops (EKG, Styrian Goldings, Fuggles etc...) in place of the Hallertauer.

What is the first malt you have listed? Assuming this is all-grain I would lower the mash temp 5-6 degrees.

Good luck, I just racked a Special Bitter over to a keg last night (Maris Otter, .5 lbs home toasted malt, .5 lbs flaked barley, and .25 lbs C120. All Styrian Goldings, fand ermented with 1968.)

I agree that mash temp is way too high, especially with 15+% Crystal malts. I'd go no higher than 153F or add 10% sugar.

It's an interesting stab at the style, that's for sure. I think Hallertau is a fine choice for the beer, and Pacman is a great yeast.

It won't be an English ESB, but it's going to be tasty. Just drop that mash temperature or you'll end up waaaaaaay too chewy and sweet.

Cheers,

Bob

Sorry - that first grain is Marris Otter.

I'm not trying to go strictly by the style guideline, but ESB seemed close to what I am concocting. I just switched to all-grain two batches ago, so I'm working on making my own recipes.

The hop choices are based on what I have on hand. Same with the yeast.

Thanks for the advice on the mash temp. This is going to be BIAB. So, I think I will adjust the mash temp to 152 and the mash time to 90 minutes. No sparge, but a lot of bag-squeezin'!

Back