stop fermentation by selecting yeast strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twd000

Reaction score
So it seems that many on here go to great lengths to prevent making very dry, hooch-y tasting apple cider - pasteurizing, back-sweetening, adding sorbate, etc.

I was wondering why we don't just select a low-alcohol-tolerance ale yeast strain that will die off around the desired FG? My last batch of Sunflower Market unfiltered apple cider had an OG of 1.060. Most beers have a FG around 1.010 which leaves a very good balance of mouthfeel and dryness. This corresponds to an ABV of 6.6% which should be agreeable to most drinkers. And WL and Wyeast list yeast strains that die off around this ABV. You could add sugar to bump up ABV of course.

Has anyone tried this?

Good luck with the experiment. Let us know how it turns out. Yeast is very unpredictable, and one lot to another will be slightly different. Lots of other variables too. Also could not get carb'd cider except for kegging.

6.5% yeast is rare.

Personally I prefer very dry, so like to ferment completely and don't mess with ant of the complications you mention.

Back