Damn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaeger48

Reaction score
Ok, I did a partial mash with 1 lb of victory and 6 lbs of pale LME. I hit my FG after a week and now it's setting but I really think it needs some some crystal malt to round out the finish. Can I partial mash 1lb of crystal in a quart of water and add it to my already fermented wort? I'm thinking that any real chance of infection will be low because it's already hopped and it's 4.5% alcohol. Do you think I'm going to have any problems with this method? I really don't want to miss the flavor profile and crystal would be the way to go.

Wouldn't you have to do another yeast pitch or let it ferment of course or if Yeatrs was still alive from the sugars in the Crystal.
What about steeping the crystal for color and flavor? Would this work?

Can I partial mash 1lb of crystal in a quart of water and add it to my already fermented wort?

To actually "mash" that crystal, you'd need some base malt too. Without enzymes, it's just steeping.

I have to agree with the consensus, don't mess with this batch, which is well on it's way to completion...get another one going, and this time use the crystal.

Back