Summertime Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skizotty

Reaction score
I am going to make a version of the Brewers Best SummerTime Ale. In looking at the ingredients list I know I want to put some orange peel and lemon peel in. How much should I put in and when? I just want it to have a bit of a citrus hint but not overpowering. Any insight would be great as this will be my second brew.

The usual time to add citrus zest is with five minutes left in the boil, similar to aroma hops. You just scrub the fruit pretty well, then zest it and dump that in. You can of course add it later too (e.g. zest the fruit, soak the zest in vodka, and throw the peel and that liquid in as a "dry hop" once fermentation is over, or even at bottling time). I haven't tried all these methods myself, so I can't speak from experience about how they are subtly different.

A standard amount to use would be the zest of one or two whole oranges in a 5-gallon batch, depending a little on the freshness and type of the orange. Randy Mosher recommends using the zest of a single sour orange (also known as bitter or Seville) in many recipes. So I imagine a good starting point would be one orange and one lemon. But if you want just a hint, you could use half of each (though lemon are of course smaller than oranges).

Latest posts

Back