Apricot IPA Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sshamash

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently brewed this Aprihop clone (found some where on internet). It is delicious, but only problem is that there is a ton of residue. I've left over an inch in the bottle and there is still floating things. Any idea why? I used a secondary and all. Could it be due to the apricot extract addition at bottling? Thoughts?

Thanks!

Heres the recipe:

Recipe Specifics:

Batch Size (USG): 6.00 Wort Size (USG): 6.50
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.00
Anticipated OG: 1.065 (16.1P)
Anticipated SRM: 6.5
Anticipated IBU: 55.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72%
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Fermentables:

9.75lbs. Cargill Pale (2-Row)
3.00lbs. Weyermann Munich I
1.00lbs. Muessdoeffer Caramel Pils
0.75lbs. Weyermann CaraHell
0.50lbs. Muessdoeffer Wheat Malt

Hops:

0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.2 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50%] (15 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
0.25 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.5 IBU
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00%] (Dry Hop 3 dHops -

Extras:

3.00Lbs. Apricot (puree) [7-10 Days (@ secondary)]
4.00ozs. Apricot (Natural Flavoring) [@ kegging]
1.00 Unit(s)Whirlfloc Tablet (Fining) [5]

Yeast: White Labs #WLP001-California Ale

**Note--If anyone plans on using this, I'd recommend cutting down the natural flavoring by a half.**

To anyone who has made this, how does it compare to DFH's "Aprihop", which is an awesome brew? :D

I made this. It came out really good. I would go a little lighter on the Apricot flavoring at kegging. Maybe knock it down to 2 oz--it was just too sweet for my liking, but many people really really liked it.
I have not had the DFH one, I read about it and thats what made me want to brew this...I am looking forward to trying it when it comes out in a few months.

All natural bottle fermentations will have a yeast colony at the bottom of the bottle. No way around it, they are what carb your beer, and they multiply while doing so.

If you want to eliminate the bottle sediment, you'll need to get a kegging setup and bottle from a force-carbed keg.

+1 to what Topher stated however an inch of sedimant in the bottle is a large amount and would lead me to believe you need to work on your racking skills as it appears you are sucking up a lot of trub when going into the bottling bucket.

Had you used actual apricot I could see a little additional debris that didn't settle out but with using apricot extract there should be no additional trub from that.

When racking you can always use a hop sack on the end of the racking cane to filter out the trub. You should also start racking higher in the bucket/carboy and as the level drops slowly lower the cane to just above the trub layer

Back