BarleyWine Suprise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radtek

Reaction score
One month old and I kegged it at 1.022. Force-carbed a couple liters and after a glass...

Pretty damn drinkable as it is. Not too sweet- spritzy and very hoppy and bitter. The 4oz of Special B is in there somewhere. The product of a three or four hour boil- I forget.

I'll counter pressure fill bottles in six months or so as long as I can keep my hands off it! I could certainly serve this now.

I'm gonna get me another glass in a few...

Let it sit for at least six months and you will be pleasantly surprised. I find that barleywines really come into their own after six to nine months.

There is nothing like a year or two old barleywine. Put a few bottles aside and forget about them. Trust me, it's worth the strain on your willpower.

Agreed. I made a barleywine 5 years ago and still have one bottle left. Haven't touched it, been sitting in the fridge for about a year. The longer you can let it age, the happier you will be.

seems to be the case with other heavier beers as well. I enjoy my porters most after they have aged at LEAST 6 months (and they just keep getting smoother). Haven't tried making a barleywine yet

Yep Porters and Stouts require extended conditioning IMO to smooth and meld those flavors. If I get something like Rogue's Shakespeare stout I'm ecstatic!

Back