Metal Bottle Tree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckylindy345

Reaction score
I am taking a welding class at college and have to pick a project to do by the end of the class. Obviously, my mind went immediately to things I could fabricate for brewing. The only thing I can think of is making a bottle tree to dry my bottles and to make the bottling process a little easier. I looked online for a metal bottle tree so I could come up with a game plan for how mine should look, but I only found plastic trees. This got me thinking about whether I should be concerned about contamination from the metal. Any thoughts on this? I was thinking about making it out of stainless steel, but I don't want to get any off-flavors from bottling this way. Also, do you think it's worth it? I've seen trees that cost about $40 but mine would cost me about $10 to make...

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I don't think you would get any off flavors from the SS. I mean, we boil our wort and ferment in Stainless Steel all the time.

I would worry about the metal scratching the inside of your bottles making it easier for the nasties to set up shop.

True, I didn't even consider that it could scratch/break the bottles...Guess I'll either have to come up with something to put over the metal "branches" or just forget the idea altogether. Infected beer is not worth the convenience of a bottle tree!

If you used the right size round stock for the branches you could slide food grade vinyl tubing over them. This would keep the branches from scratching the bottles but might be hard to disinfect.

erik, is a single tier stand for holding kegs? I won't be getting a keg until Christmas :( I might try the food grade vinyl tubing dilligaf...if I can find a convenient way to make it work

Go for the bottle tree out of SS. Drill holes in the trunk to install the tubing then weld it all up. Weld a hose bib to the bottom of the trunk. Get plastic caps for the ends of the branches and drill holes in the caps. Now you can hook it up to a bucket of sanitizer with a pump and have a sanitizing bottle tree. Heck, build 2 and send me one. ;)

True, I didn't even consider that it could scratch/break the bottles...Guess I'll either have to come up with something to put over the metal "branches" or just forget the idea altogether. Infected beer is not worth the convenience of a bottle tree!

Love the welded tree idea! I'm an ametuer metal sculptor and I've thought of doing the same thing...

You can get this stuff at any Home Depot (can't remember what it is called) in the tools section that is designed for coating the handles of pliers, screwdrivers, etc. You can dip your "branches" in this stuff and you'll have a sealed rubber "grip" that is permanent and impossible for water or nasties to get under and get foul. Plus it only costs $7!

If you dip your branches in it prior to welding, you can have some protection for your glass bottles. Just remember to leave an inch or so undipped so you have a bare-metal end to weld to the "trunk"...

Good Luck! :mug:

-Tripod

Go for the bottle tree out of SS. Drill holes in the trunk to install the tubing then weld it all up. Weld a hose bib to the bottom of the trunk. Get plastic caps for the ends of the branches and drill holes in the caps. Now you can hook it up to a bucket of sanitizer with a pump and have a sanitizing bottle tree. Heck, build 2 and send me one. ;)

Holy Crap that's a great idea. Build 3 and send me one too. I'll even chip in for supplies and labor ;)

build some kick-ass 6-pack carriers. Or even 12 pack carriers.

The plastic stuff is called plasti-dip. And I'd thin it down and spray it on after you've welded it. Otherwise you're gonna heat up the bar and burn the plastic.

stainless tubing would be great, but pretty hard to weld without burning through. (are you stick or wirefeed welding?) But you would get a killer grade if you did it well.

if you build it out of 3/16" mild bar stock you could just plasti-dip the whole thing.

although I don't know if plasti-dip is NSF approved for food surfaces.

B

Wow that's an awesome idea! It might be more work than I'm willing to take on, but I'll keep the option open in case I get bored. I will definitely be plastic dipping it! I'll put up some pics when I'm done with it, which unfortunately won't be for 7 or 8 weeks (near the end of the class). Thanks for the input!

Oh and Bad Coffee, I'm wirefeed welding (MIG). It might be hard to do without burning right through. I'll have to turn the amps way down and just see what happens. I could also TIG weld it for a much cleaner weld with less chance of burn through if it comes to that.

I am wondering if there are chemicals in the plastic dip coating that would warrant not using it for this. Maybe not on it's own, but in contact with a sanitizer. I'm thinking yes.

I would go the food grade (clear) vinyl tubing idea that Dilligaf gave, or just use small rubber stoppers in the ends as a "bumper".

Plus with the clear tubing or stoppers you retain the bling of the stainless steel.

/tg

Tim, that's a good point and it's kinda scary because I don't know if there would be any reaction with sanitizer or another chemical and the plastic. I emailed the plasti-dip people and they said it was completely safe for what I want to use it for, as long as it's dry. That leads me to believe that as long as the sanitizer isn't breaking down the plastic coating, I should be ok...the question remains though of whether or not it could break it down over time

Tim, that's a good point and it's kinda scary because I don't know if there would be any reaction with sanitizer or another chemical and the plastic. I emailed the plasti-dip people and they said it was completely safe for what I want to use it for, as long as it's dry. That leads me to believe that as long as the sanitizer isn't breaking down the plastic coating, I should be ok...the question remains though of whether or not it could break it down over time

I can't say that I've done extensive research on plasti-dip, but I have friends in culinary school (-sp?) who use it to dip their metal tongs, spoon handles, etc. They say they've been told it is ok as long as it is completely dry before use.

I've noticed a lot of floating thermometers have that red, rubbery, tip to make it easier to retrieve from hot liquid. Not 100% sure if it is truly plasti-dip but it sure looks the same. I think they're also called "lab thermometers"...

Check out:
Ben's Home Brew.com. Home Brewing, Wine Making, Beer Supplies and Wine Supplies
BrewSource.com | Brewer's Best Floating Thermometer | home brewing
Homebrew.com: Floating Thermometer - 10"

I know the pictures are not the best but should give you the basic idea. If those are food safe and lab safe then the plasti-dip should be OK for a bottle tree. But it MIGHT not be the same stuff as the Home Depot stuff so check into it first.

Hope that helps! :mug:

-Tripod

Latest posts

Back